• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Here comes the forced 2 mins silence BS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I usually head out the office when these things go on, can't really be arsed with the whole 'let's look serious while reading what is on my screen' nonsense. Personally I find the whole post Diana 'must look more respectful than the people next to me' slightly unnerving and I am sure most clients just arrange the whole thing to cover their arses from bad press.
    It is the same mentality that Gordon Brown has in refusing to ever wear a dinner suit.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Too much of this country is damaged by people's blind insistence on their right to do as they damn well please and sod everyone else.
      You mean the freedoms that all those soldiers died to protect?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I don't think they were protecting the right for people to be bumholes.
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
          Why do you dislike it?
          Because when I was a lad, the sentiment was chiefly around remembering the folly of war (WW1) and to a lesser extent remembering the sacrifice of those who died fighting for freedom (WW2). The sentiment is now increasingly hitched towards supporting our boys fighting current wars, which in turn is related to a kind of political correctness whereby you have to support our boys fighting abroad.

The argument broadly goes that even if you think wars is Afghanistan and Iraq are /were illegal / immoral, you should still support those soldiers who are fighting them, which just seems nuts to me.

The Royal British Legion has a poppy poster this year with the strap-line something like, 'Standing shoulder to shoulder with those who serve'. I just don't want to do that.

But as I said, I respect those who feel differently as it's an event that people can mark with all kinds of sentiments, and it seems rather mean-spirited to spoil it for others.

Comment

Freedoms, yes. Infringing on the rights of others while exercising your "Hooman Rights" and acting like a chav, not so much.
            You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
              I don't think they were protecting the right for people to be bumholes.
              Speaking seriously, isn't that precisely what they were protecting?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Because when I was a lad, the sentiment was chiefly around remembering the folly of war (WW1) and to a lesser extent remembering the sacrifice of those who died fighting for freedom (WW2). The sentiment is now increasingly hitched towards supporting our boys fighting current wars, which in turn is related to a kind of political correctness whereby you have to support our boys fighting abroad.

The argument broadly goes that even if you think wars is Afghanistan and Iraq are /were illegal / immoral, you should still support those soldiers who are fighting them, which just seems nuts to me.

The Royal British Legion has a poppy poster this year with the strap-line something like, 'Standing shoulder to shoulder with those who serve'. I just don't want to do that.

But as I said, I respect those who feel differently as it's an event that people can mark with all kinds of sentiments, and it seems rather mean-spirited to spoil it for others.
                WHS. I do wear a poppy, but it doesn't feel like we've learned from the past.

Comment

Speaking seriously, isn't that precisely what they were protecting?
                  "With freedom comes responsibility". A line that far too many people choose to ignore.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    "With freedom comes responsibility". A line that far too many people choose to ignore.
                    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                      No I observed the silence, I would prefer to do it in my own time than forced into it during my working day.
                      Then don't bill for the two minutes and honour is satisfied!

Comment

Working...
                      X