• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New work - Drive or Take train"

Collapse

• rdglad
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    In the evening you have to go Croydon->Victoria->Paddington->Reading though.

The train from Reading to Clapham in the morning will probably be reasonably pleasant as it starts at Reading so presumably you can easily get a seat. This may involve arriving at Reading station 15 mins before the train leaves though.
    Thanks to everyone who replied.

In the evening, why not same route?
    17:26 East Croydon [ECR] to Clapham Junction [CLJ] 17:35
    17:45 Clapham Junction [CLJ] to Reading [RDG] 19:00

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by rdglad View Post
    Leaving From To Arriving
    07:24 Reading [RDG] Clapham Junction [CLJ] 08:32
    08:43 Clapham Junction [CLJ] East Croydon [ECR] 08:52

an hour and 28 min
    In the evening you have to go Croydon->Victoria->Paddington->Reading though.

The train from Reading to Clapham in the morning will probably be reasonably pleasant as it starts at Reading so presumably you can easily get a seat. This may involve arriving at Reading station 15 mins before the train leaves though.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Are you only 17 or just acquired a UK driving licence?
    Loads of people don't learn to drive at 17...

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Drive.

You'll never get better if you don't do it.
    That is true, but 3 hours driving every day on busy roads with a job to do is just giving stress you don't need.

If you can get a seat on the train, far and away the best option. You can USE the time - read or do some work or even sleep.

I would be very strongly trying to justify the expense of a 1st-class season/monthly ticket in your shoes.

Good point about being able to go out for a beer too.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Signo_cypher View Post
    Have been doing the long commute from Wolverton to Richmond for 2 months now. Finished a local gig in MK in August. I tried driving but after 3 days I gave up, it felt like it had been 3 years not 3 days! The M4 into London is extremly frustrating.
    Try going on the M25 towards Heathrow and you will be sucidal.

BTW I don't.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Drive.

-better +worse

It's a real nasty journey

Leave a comment:

• Signo_cypher
    replied
    So realistically you are looking at a +2hour commute each way, 20 hours a week! - does anyone else here do that kind of number? I think I'd rather stay local
    Have been doing the long commute from Wolverton to Richmond for 2 months now. Finished a local gig in MK in August. I tried driving but after 3 days I gave up, it felt like it had been 3 years not 3 days! The M4 into London is extremly frustrating.

The train is better as I can catch up on TV and movies downloaded to my iphone, read paper, listen to music, nap and if really bored think about life in general.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Always train for me unless it's really not feasible...

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    So realistically you are looking at a +2hour commute each way, 20 hours a week! - does anyone else here do that kind of number? I think I'd rather stay local
    you can put up with almost anything, provided its temporary. The thought of doing it for three months or longer would be a bit of a downer

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by rdglad View Post
    Would you suggest me to drive or take train for new work? You advice please!
    Drive.

Leave a comment:

• NervousRexx
    replied
    Have 1hr 15min train journey to Manchester - power nap on way in and always get a seat. Client 5 mins from station so not too bad. Beats driving. Overall commute 1hr 30mins.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I did it for a while as a permie, but having gone freelance and discovered tax deductible hotel rooms and restaurant bills, never again.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    I did for my first contract. I had meant to stay away but didn't find anywhere in time.
    The drive wasn't too bad though - it took as long as it did due to the distance not bad traffic

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Isn't the South East awful for traffic at rush hour?
    Yes

Leave a comment:

• rdglad
    replied
    Originally posted by NervousRexx View Post
    Travel by Leaving From To Arriving
    07:09 Reading [RDG] Clapham Junction [CLJ] 08:22
    08:38 Clapham Junction [CLJ] East Croydon [ECR] 08:48
    Leaving From To Arriving
    07:24 Reading [RDG] Clapham Junction [CLJ] 08:32
    08:43 Clapham Junction [CLJ] East Croydon [ECR] 08:52

an hour and 28 min

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X