• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New work - Drive or Take train

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    So realistically you are looking at a +2hour commute each way, 20 hours a week! - does anyone else here do that kind of number? I think I'd rather stay local
    Have been doing the long commute from Wolverton to Richmond for 2 months now. Finished a local gig in MK in August. I tried driving but after 3 days I gave up, it felt like it had been 3 years not 3 days! The M4 into London is extremly frustrating.

The train is better as I can catch up on TV and movies downloaded to my iphone, read paper, listen to music, nap and if really bored think about life in general.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Drive.

You'll never get better if you don't do it.

-better +worse

It's a real nasty journey
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Signo_cypher View Post
        Have been doing the long commute from Wolverton to Richmond for 2 months now. Finished a local gig in MK in August. I tried driving but after 3 days I gave up, it felt like it had been 3 years not 3 days! The M4 into London is extremly frustrating.
        Try going on the M25 towards Heathrow and you will be sucidal.

BTW I don't.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          Are you only 17 or just acquired a UK driving licence?
          Loads of people don't learn to drive at 17...

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Drive.

You'll never get better if you don't do it.
          That is true, but 3 hours driving every day on busy roads with a job to do is just giving stress you don't need.

If you can get a seat on the train, far and away the best option. You can USE the time - read or do some work or even sleep.

I would be very strongly trying to justify the expense of a 1st-class season/monthly ticket in your shoes.

Good point about being able to go out for a beer too.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by rdglad View Post
            Leaving From To Arriving
            07:24 Reading [RDG] Clapham Junction [CLJ] 08:32
            08:43 Clapham Junction [CLJ] East Croydon [ECR] 08:52

an hour and 28 min
            In the evening you have to go Croydon->Victoria->Paddington->Reading though.

The train from Reading to Clapham in the morning will probably be reasonably pleasant as it starts at Reading so presumably you can easily get a seat. This may involve arriving at Reading station 15 mins before the train leaves though.
            "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
              In the evening you have to go Croydon->Victoria->Paddington->Reading though.

The train from Reading to Clapham in the morning will probably be reasonably pleasant as it starts at Reading so presumably you can easily get a seat. This may involve arriving at Reading station 15 mins before the train leaves though.
              Thanks to everyone who replied.

In the evening, why not same route?
              17:26 East Croydon [ECR] to Clapham Junction [CLJ] 17:35
              17:45 Clapham Junction [CLJ] to Reading [RDG] 19:00

Comment

Working...
              X