• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractors working in London during the olympics"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    True, it will be hard to make this special. Although the budget is about 4 times as large a normal
    This will be a bit too late for you

BBC News - Virgin Galactic space tourism could begin in 2013

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I never know where I'll be working nine months ahead.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Erm, what did you last year then and the year before?

True, it will be hard to make this special. Although the budget is about 4 times as large a normal

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    So the plan is to take a massive no-expenses-spared, first class, 5 star plus holiday of a lifetime in some fantastic location
    Erm, what did you last year then and the year before?

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    If you're worried about a lack of hotel rooms, why not just by a flat in London now and then sell it this time next year for double the price, once the olympics effect kicks into the market, this time next year we'll be millyonaires rodders.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    As a conservative estimate of normal rent is £6K a month

For that I'd be inclined to rent it out to some Spearmint Rhino 'dancers' and live in the loft Shallow Grave style.

Would almost be as profitable as contracting (for me) and certainly more fun.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Have been told by estate agents that rents in our area will double or triple for the duration.
    As a conservative estimate of normal rent is £6K a month, that's between 12 and 18K less agents fees, insurance, post rental cleaning etc.

So the plan is to take a massive no-expenses-spared, first class, 5 star plus holiday of a lifetime in some fantastic location over that period on the proceeds of renting our house for the duration

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Already inside the M25, and will continue with my normal commute at 7a.m., no self respecting Olympic Committee will be planning anything worth watching at that time of morning.

Must put spare room on the spareroom.com. Women's volleyball team members need rooms don't they?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I guess that a fair few on here make the weekly journey to London town to ply their trade.

What are you planning on doing over the period the olympics are on? I'm guessing there won't be a hotel room to be had within the M25?

Is this going to be a real problem?
    Finding another contract in Manchester...

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Is this going to be a real problem?
    I read somewhere that people are looking to cash in on the olympics by renting their houses out for thousands a week. So I expect reasonably priced hotels or even hostels with vacancies will be impossible to find.

Hostels are worth considering as many are like cheap hotels these days, some even have private rooms with en-suite if you're fussy. Check out Hostels.com, HostelWorld etc for examples.

As for me, I'll be doing what I usually do when it involves contracting and London, avoiding the place. I can get a similar rate outside London without all the hassle.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    .. because you like men in short shorts??
    Because it's near my house and team GB have a great chance of a medal.

Leave a comment:

• Arturo Bassick
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Women's beach volleyball is good if you like the rear view. Indoor women's volleyball is better for cameltoes.
    I love to hear the voice of experience, a dedicated fan.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    When is the women's beach volleyball on?
    Women's beach volleyball is good if you like the rear view. Indoor women's volleyball is better for cameltoes.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    When is the women's beach volleyball on?

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I am going to avoid London like the plague, except for the men's road race when I shall be in Richmond Park.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X