• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors working in London during the olympics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Already inside the M25, and will continue with my normal commute at 7a.m., no self respecting Olympic Committee will be planning anything worth watching at that time of morning.

Must put spare room on the spareroom.com. Women's volleyball team members need rooms don't they?
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Have been told by estate agents that rents in our area will double or triple for the duration.
      As a conservative estimate of normal rent is £6K a month, that's between 12 and 18K less agents fees, insurance, post rental cleaning etc.

So the plan is to take a massive no-expenses-spared, first class, 5 star plus holiday of a lifetime in some fantastic location over that period on the proceeds of renting our house for the duration
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        As a conservative estimate of normal rent is £6K a month

For that I'd be inclined to rent it out to some Spearmint Rhino 'dancers' and live in the loft Shallow Grave style.

Would almost be as profitable as contracting (for me) and certainly more fun.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

If you're worried about a lack of hotel rooms, why not just by a flat in London now and then sell it this time next year for double the price, once the olympics effect kicks into the market, this time next year we'll be millyonaires rodders.
          "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

So the plan is to take a massive no-expenses-spared, first class, 5 star plus holiday of a lifetime in some fantastic location
            Erm, what did you last year then and the year before?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              Erm, what did you last year then and the year before?

True, it will be hard to make this special. Although the budget is about 4 times as large a normal
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

I never know where I'll be working nine months ahead.

Comment

True, it will be hard to make this special. Although the budget is about 4 times as large a normal
                  This will be a bit too late for you

BBC News - Virgin Galactic space tourism could begin in 2013
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                  X