• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone else been to the US lately? What did you think about price of stuff?"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    That stereotype has long since been consigned to the history books if anything I find the reveres is true with those from the south of the border.

YYawn.
    You'll have had yer tea then?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    I was there in April and couldn't say I noticed it was overly expensive (but I then had a summer break in Europe which was expensive ( bonus meant the low rent Brits weren't there) so depends what your point of reference is)

I don't really go on holiday to compare the cost of things - they cost what they cost and you either put up with them or go elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    He is a Scot, they're like Yorkshiremen with all the generosity wrung out of them.
    That stereotype has long since been consigned to the history books if anything I find the reveres is true with those from the south of the border.

YYawn.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Scooterscot, is it always you who starts the threads about the cost of 'stuff' in various places?
    no.

now I'm away to bed.
    Drunken Flounce!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Scooterscot, is it always you who starts the threads about the cost of 'stuff' in various places?
    no.

now I'm away to bed.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    He is a Scot, they're like Yorkshiremen with all the generosity wrung out of them.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Food I found not too bad, cheaper than here in diners, etc. Hotels were the real shocker - finding even a nasty motel in Boston was $200/night and double for somewhere nice - that's more than London!

Cheap petrol though

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Just come back from Florida. WDW and all that.

Disney itself has turned into a complete rip-off these days. Very expensive. $35 for a crap Disney t-shirt, $40 for a crap buffet in Disney restaurant.

Also, some of the stuff in the shops outside equates to same price once converted to pounds. (As I kept telling the Mrs - theres no point buying stuff if it costs the same back home and you got the hassle of lugging it home in the suitcase!)
    I bet your kids really love going on holiday with you!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Been to the US fairly consistently the past few years. On this trip the differences are noticeable. Even though Euro / Sterling exchange rates with the dollar such as they are, the price of stuff in general in the US has certainly increased from what I remember. Found the US to be quite expensive now, eating out $70-80, no where that posh but that's a lot for one.

Was talking with an IT guy on the flight into Vegas, 'we don't have inflation he said' Say what... What's he on I thought.

Been looking now and again at this armani scarf I saw in Munich, €350 - saw the exact same scarf in San Fran for $950!

So if you think you'll go to the US for some bargains think again. iPad is only $300 though, very tempted.
    Just come back from Florida. WDW and all that.

Disney itself has turned into a complete rip-off these days. Very expensive. $35 for a crap Disney t-shirt, $40 for a crap buffet in Disney restaurant.

Also, some of the stuff in the shops outside equates to same price once converted to pounds. (As I kept telling the Mrs - theres no point buying stuff if it costs the same back home and you got the hassle of lugging it home in the suitcase!)

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I experienced a deja vu moment when I opened the thread.
    What? Again?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I experienced a deja vu moment when I opened the thread.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Is that why they put a little mint on them?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post

Apparently the pillows are nice and bitable...
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Supposed family man goes on holiday alone to a city noted for its gay population. Pretty obvious what's going on.
    That's only like MF "going Greek"...

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    What's the hotel like?
    Apparently the pillows are nice and soft...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X