• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Any use Lotus Notes?"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    A complete basket case of a product and one that I use on the majority of gigs.

Notes tends to be in large scale organisations that have had at one point (or still have) an IBM mainframe. I don't think many places would go out and buy it on their own but it was easy for IBM to slip the stinking pile of monkey shit: in when pitching new mainframes to the client.

Notes, IE6, shit: code & crap staff tend to flock together I find.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Last client used it. Awful product.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Originally posted by DieScum View Post
    Started at a place that uses Lotus Notes 8.5.

Wow. Just wow. It's like something from the 90s.

Slow as hell. Terrible user interface. Slow. Loads of functionality just not there. Slow. Loads of useless functionality including. Slow.
    Is your client a a call centre? LN seems to be still popular in call centre, mainly because they are run by computer illitterate managers.

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
    Did a search on 'speeding up Lotus notes' and found some random blogs blog tips which worked a bit... but nothing from IBM.

Has anyone ever had to use this amazing software?
    You can't make wine out of betroot juice but you can disable some functionalities. Assuming it's installed in C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Notes, there should be two binaries, one is the fat binary with Java support, the other one (I think it's called nlnotes.exe) is the basic client. Or click start > run > nlnotes.exe .

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Two clients over here have used it, including current one. Horrendous.

Only good thing is an app called Awesync which syncs from Notes to my Google account and subsequently my Android phone. The app runs from a memory stick which is great because ClientCo PCs are locked down.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Notes always felt 'unfinished' to me, like a beta release.

I also thought it strange to name the server component 'Domino'; an item synonymous with 'falling over'.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    I use it all day every day for my email client plus several other applications (forms) fronting other databases. I've never needed killnotes.exe and every client upgrade (since v6) has gone like a charm.

I don't know what you lot are moaning about. As for changing to Outlook, well flabber me ghast!

I do admit though that a problem with Notes is finding the right buttons and menu options. It's all in there, but you have to use the (good) help system to find it.

Oh, I'll also admit that Team Rooms are tulipe.

I think Notes might best be described as "Groupware" as it's far more than just an email client.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Used it once, 1996 I think.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    You'll need to take out one of the programs running in memory.(Cant remember which off the top of my head), but just so you know.
    csrss.exe

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    I've never seen anything quite like it, but current client co uses Lotus Notes as a document management platform a bit like Documentum but not as good (which is something I thought I'd never be able to say). It is truly dire with buttons on the tool bars that seem to be randomly assigned in functionality and the most primitive ways of doing things it's untrue. Thankfully, they don't use it for email.

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Am I the only one that feels they've stepped into a timewarp?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I've been using it for donkey's years, first back when it was on OS/2 and involved in all aspects of it. What you have to remember is that it was not originally an e-mail client but a form of groupware and e-mail was just an add-on. Since then most companies use it as their primary e-mail client for which it was never designed and so all these problems occur. Some things work very well and some very poorly. Whatever you do, don't run the Domino server on z/OS...

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    i just had two years at big blue so obviously we had that pile of poo

and currently at a blue chip which is a massive big blue house so again
    we have it :-(

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Current Client Co on 7, moving to 8.5 in the next few days

That'll be a couple of days off then

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Was really good in the 80s & early 90s but they stopped developing it seriously and it showed its age about revision 5.

Each application / mailbox was a database when exchange was one amorphous mass (brick level backup anyone). Had real potential.

The web interface could have blown sharepoint out of the water but it was so developer / power user unfriendly.

Set the max size for email db to a few hundred meg and it used to be quite fast. Default was as big as you like, so when a user opened a 15GB mail db the server slowed to a stop.

They didn't create a decent watchdog for all the applications needed to make the client work hence killnotes.

Admin was a pain as well.

I blame them for not hiring me back in the nineties. I told them all that.

silly people

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
    My Clientco is on 7.0.1
    Mine is 7.0.2 ..... it is dire .... did anyone mention it is ........... s..........l.........o.........w?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X