• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Email malfunction - advice needed."

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I like this advice best of all.

But I liked EO's advice so I manned up and apologised for the method of delivery (couldn't do much else really...)

It will be an interesting meeting today, if nothing else
    You're human(almost), these things happen.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Relax, do nothing, let the World turn a bit. It'll all work out for the best, really.
    I like this advice best of all.

But I liked EO's advice so I manned up and apologised for the method of delivery (couldn't do much else really...)

It will be an interesting meeting today, if nothing else

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Relax, do nothing, let the World turn a bit. It'll all work out for the best, really.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Ok, even I've done it. Instead of a FW, I've used a RE and sent a critical email to the recipient of said criticism instead of the PM. While it wasn't insulting and he wasn't named, he is the head of area. I was going to deal with the situation in a more diplomatic manner in a meeting tomorrow.

How do I best tackle this faux pas? Apologise for it? I can't, I meant it. Brazen it out with a grin?

Or bribe someone in IT support to trash the message.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Ok, even I've done it. Instead of a FW, I've used a RE and sent a critical email to the recipient of said criticism instead of the PM. While it wasn't insulting and he wasn't named, he is the head of area. I was going to deal with the situation in a more diplomatic manner in a meeting tomorrow.

How do I best tackle this faux pas? Apologise for it? I can't, I meant it. Brazen it out with a grin?

My advice would be that, when starting your next contract (i.e. next Monday fingers crossed), invest time early on in gaining administrative access to the email system, for precisely these types of situations.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by northernrampage View Post

And currently, a supplier I work with has been angling for my job and making his case to my boss via email. Obviously never crossed his mind that my boss would forward to me.
    I hate this, I mean when it is done unintentionally. The weird thing is the higher up the chain of command the more chance you have of them not bothering to read the whole mail and just do the managerial forward and delegate. Normally delegated to the person that is being named and shamed at the bottom of the mail.

Leave a comment:

• northernrampage
    replied

Re. the person it accidentally went to...is there anyway you can have a quick word with them ahead of the meeting to say that perhaps you should have spoken to them first to bring it to their attention? That yes, you think your critique is valid but maybe you would handle it differently another time.

But if that's not how things work where you are I'd leave it.

I've made several email mistakes. Should have learned by now.

I had to turn off someone's PC after I sent an instant message being rude about him to his account. Luckily, he wasn't at his desk.

And currently, a supplier I work with has been angling for my job and making his case to my boss via email. Obviously never crossed his mind that my boss would forward to me.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied

Pretend nothing happened, forget it, "it wasn't me", "my PC has been hacked "(if you run Shi*dows it's quite possible),"I don't know what you're talking about".

Actually I'm pretty sure you haven't done it and you're just winding us up.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    If there's a chance that the unintended recipient hasn't read it yet, do what they 'always' do on TV or in the movies:

Distract the recipient away from his PC, gain access to their PC by guessing the password, and delete the email.

If he/she catches you in the act, have a cover excuse for being there. e.g. just bringing this document

If the criticism is genuine they may just take it on the chin if they can accept they're not perfect, so best policy may be to do nothing and see what (if anything) happens. Then raise it at the meeting as originally planned, after which the email will be irrelevant.
    Back in my permie support days, my boss who was based in a satellite office sent me an email request to assist the big chief who was based in my office in London.

I'd already looked at the issue and it was user error so replied back to my boss to that effect whilst also taking the piss out of the big chief.

My boss didn't read the email properly and just forwarded it on, and thank god cc'd me in, to the big chief detailing the situation.

I read the email as soon as it landed in my inbox and proceeded to go a pale colour whilst also struggling not to soil myself.

I never knew I could move so fast. I bolted to the big chiefs office and could not believe my luck.

The big chief was in a meeting, his PA was there (who I got on well with) and she knew his password.

She logged onto his PC for me, I completely deleted the email and then went to the toilet to check how badly I'd sh!t myself.

Lesson learned.

Leave a comment:

• gruntling
    replied
    I'd just keep quiet.

Noone reads work emails anymore anyway!

Leave a comment:

• Wodewick
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    You liar, you once called me a **** for a start.
    That was meant as a compliment!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I'd brazen it out. But as I've never done it as I'm not stupid enough to ever insult/criticise someone via an electronic communication I couldn't comment.

You dumb broad.
    You liar, you once called me a **** for a start.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    I've also done it in the past... best advice is to hide under the desk if you see them approaching

or

Just twat him, walk out & find another contract & put it down to experience
    I'd brazen it out. But as I've never done it as I'm not stupid enough to ever insult/criticise someone via an electronic communication I couldn't comment.

You dumb broad.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    If there's a chance that the unintended recipient hasn't read it yet, do what they 'always' do on TV or in the movies:

Distract the recipient away from his PC, gain access to their PC by guessing the password, and delete the email.

If he/she catches you in the act, have a cover excuse for being there. e.g. just bringing this document

If the criticism is genuine they may just take it on the chin if they can accept they're not perfect, so best policy may be to do nothing and see what (if anything) happens. Then raise it at the meeting as originally planned, after which the email will be irrelevant.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    twat him in the grid with your uke
    And repeat as necessary.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X