• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Working From Home

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working From Home"

Collapse

• beaker
    replied
    Just tell your client you're working from home! Are you a man or a boy? Huh? Huh?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by PTP View Post
    I've got this dull task of documenting a spreadsheet and I reckon I could get through it miles quicker if I could work from home avoiding distractions. I'm pssssd off that the client says I can't take the spreadsheet home for daft security reasons and then has the cheek to say "I can try and find you a quieter spot in the office and give you a laptop, but we'd all like to do that and dealing with distractions is what it's like working in an office".....Durggh! I know, that's my point!, I want to make use of this "office" of mine that's free from distraction for a task that requires no tools other than MS Office and it doesn't require talking to others.
    Sounds like a tough one PTP

dont let it get you down

Leave a comment:

• PTP
    replied
    I've got this dull task of documenting a spreadsheet and I reckon I could get through it miles quicker if I could work from home avoiding distractions. I'm pssssd off that the client says I can't take the spreadsheet home for daft security reasons and then has the cheek to say "I can try and find you a quieter spot in the office and give you a laptop, but we'd all like to do that and dealing with distractions is what it's like working in an office".....Durggh! I know, that's my point!, I want to make use of this "office" of mine that's free from distraction for a task that requires no tools other than MS Office and it doesn't require talking to others.

Leave a comment:

• Chaffinch
    replied
    Another possible consideration - if you're WFH you can have multiple contracts ????

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    If a job can be done from home it can be done from anywhere in the world
    It can, but that doesn't mean it can be done by anyone in the world.

Having worked in a heavily off-shored environment for quite a while - rather than some Dodgy Agent ivory tower - it's quite clear that for some types of work, it's far be able to have personal contact. Telephone, video-conferencing etc. are not a substitute for sitting down with someone to discuss an issue. Far less productive.

I have an office at home. I work remotely for one client, almost exclusively, and for another couple, I can work at home if necessary - but it's better for me to be in the office most of the time.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    WFH is fine as long as you don't have kids of (pre)school age, because productivity slumps when mothers with their shrieking brats materialise in the house at around 15:30 hrs, and despite requests to keep out of the office/study, repeatedly come in to ask where so-and-so is or can I have (insert sugar laden item here) from the fridge?

Yes that is a good point. Last time I was WFH I got around that by starting early and asking ms doodab to take doodab jr to the park which normally gave me until 5 or 6pm. I couldn't get away with that every day though.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    That is why your home-office should be separate from the house.
    That's the keyword.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by chana7 View Post
    Many friends assume that I sit in front of the TV all day when WFH and I can safely say that the TV never comes on. Which is odd and slightly sensible for me....Now where did I put that remote....
    The first time I worked from home I found it hard to switch off and couldn't enjoy TV even in the evenings. This is where a dedicated office at home can help.

The next time I worked from home I took deliberate lunch breaks and did watch TV (Business Lunch?), with a proper meal. This worked much better.

Leave a comment:

• MCC7
    replied
    In my last job (perm) I was working from home 3 days a week - Lack of social interaction and urgency= lack of motivation and quality of work suffered. I got so bored in fact, I upped and went contracting!

I much prefer being in the office although I have just been "allowed" to WFH on Fridays, which is a bonus. I would say prodcutivity is based on how you feel on the day, WFH/the office tends to be irrelevant. If you feel motivated you'll work, if you don't - you won't! Simples.

Many friends assume that I sit in front of the TV all day when WFH and I can safely say that the TV never comes on. Which is odd and slightly sensible for me....Now where did I put that remote....

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    I don't do much IN the office, but I would do a lot less WFH. I was hopeless at revising for exams, get bored very easily and there are too many distractions.
    Hence you set up a dedicated working area rather than sat on the sofa in front of the telly.

Leave a comment:

• Chaffinch
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Personally if I knew my guys had this set up at home I would not let them WFH. This is not conducive to getting good work done and is pretty unprofessional IMO. You cannot work better with your laptop on your knee for 8+ hours.
    Personally, I think you'd be a NIGHTMARE to work for. If the work is getting done to spec, they can be on the moon for all I care.

Being a good manager includes determining the best way to make your team productive, a one-size (usually your own) fits all approach just doesn't work.

I will add that I resort to the knee usually after hours to catch up on work emails etc

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    I don't do much IN the office, but I would do a lot less WFH. I was hopeless at revising for exams, get bored very easily and there are too many distractions.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    • Girlfriend who liked international phone calls (only one phone, and that was in the office)
    • Friend who was staying tried to break into my computer
    • Cleaner who doesn't understand computers and gadgets
    Ok.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Chaffinch View Post
    Hmmm, It would appear investment in a "proper" office is in order - currently working in the dining room / laptop on my knee option.

It's how I've always WFH though so I'm thinking why change (except WFH is more commonplace now!)
    Personally if I knew my guys had this set up at home I would not let them WFH. This is not conducive to getting good work done and is pretty unprofessional IMO. You cannot work better with your laptop on your knee for 8+ hours.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    WFH is fine as long as you don't have kids of (pre)school age, because productivity slumps when mothers with their shrieking brats materialise in the house at around 15:30 hrs, and despite requests to keep out of the office/study, repeatedly come in to ask where so-and-so is or can I have (insert sugar laden item here) from the fridge?

That is why your home-office should be separate from the house. Mine is one of these:

Garden Studios | Sustainable Buildings | Garden Rooms/Offices/Housing - Ecospace Studios

Its completely self-contained - has a loo/shower, exercise equipment when you want a break and a bar for that end of day drink

Leave a comment:

Working...
X