• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Avoiding mosquitos whilst on holiday?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    If you do get bitten, wash the affected area with soap and water - it gets rid of the nastier chemicals and stops the reaction being so bad. Otherwise - spray on repellent, and a vapouriser at night, if you've not got nets.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    This is gonna sound totally out of left field but, try Avon's Skin So Soft range. It might sound daft but really works
    AKA IR3535, so called because the Labour government thought IT contractors were pests to be repelled.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    This is gonna sound totally out of left field but, try Avon's Skin So Soft range. It might sound daft but really works
    That is the one I could not remember.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    The little feckers like to change strategy and they differ on attack in different countries. Some do not make any noise at all, some dive bomb you from a height, some come in under the radar.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    IR3535 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unfair insect repellent for IT contractors?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    The powerful semiochemical that triggers the mosquito's keen sense of smell is nonanal
    Mosquito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thank goodness for that.

I may have been swatting innocent insects in my tent the other week. I gather mosquitoes make a characteristic whine, but those mosquitoes-like critters appeared pretty silent, even when I chased them around the tent.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

Anyone got any tried and proven methods for managing not to get eaten alive by the little buggers?
    Wear long clothes and use insect repellent on the bits that aren't covered. Then use anti-histamines for when they have dined on you.

I'm currently getting bitten when I do circuit training in the evenings.

Pondy[/QUOTE]

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Maybe you should wash your feet more often.

Malaria mosquitoes accurately find their way to smelly feet

Or just keep moving. The woods round here are full of stagnant pools and If I go jogging in the evening late summer and stand still I can hear them converging from all directions. So I avoid getting bitten by not standing still, they are extremely slow little buggers. 1 mph tops I should think.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 21 August 2011, 16:27.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Just ordered Deet 50 and Deet 100 + a mossy net from amazon.

The little feckers drive me crazy!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Anyone got any tried and proven methods for managing not to get eaten alive by the little buggers?
    Take the wife. Excellent decoy, so I've discovered.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    + ?

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    At risk of stating the obvious / obviously wrong, have you tried spray-on insect repellant?
    As well as keeping away the critters it cools you down nicely on a hot day, and the chemicals in it give you a nice tingling sensation on certain parts of the body..
    haven't found a decent one that doesn't stink
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    mosquitoes are attracted to diabetic blood
    N/A
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I heard they don't like diet coke, I assume you have to drink it though.
    I assume I can add rum to it
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Deet.

There is a cream one, can't remember the name "kind to skin" or summin'. Less greasy that the others.
    Ta will send Mrs PL off to boots in the week

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Deet.

There is a cream one, can't remember the name "kind to skin" or summin'. Less greasy that the others.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I heard they don't like diet coke, I assume you have to drink it though.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Since I've spent my adult life ensuring I taste of chicken madras with subtle hint of sauvignon blanc I always seem to be a prime target for mosquitos when on holiday. Naturally, I try to avoid this by filling my body with the local spirits in order to blend in with the local flavours but it never works.

I've heard vitamin B supplements are supposed to help but since it doesn't come served over crushed ice I'm not sure I can remember to take it.

TIA

Pondy
    mosquitoes are attracted to diabetic blood

Leave a comment:

Working...
X