• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tony Blair 'no moral decline' on recent riots."

Collapse

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    No, I don't like seeing ex-Minister who was just out last year I believe from state work to suddenly buy £8 mln house, it should raise a lot of questions not just in HMRC but also in MI5, MI6 and especially MI7.

Labour Party should be asking some hard questions also.
    Do you think he was poor when he entered politics and that he has not earned shed loads from his book and consulting and board seats? Grow up!
    Why the F**K would MI get involved, is he suspected of some form of terrorism?

I, for one, could give a rats ass how much someone else's house cost. I'm trying to keep the one I've got.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Well, if you do not like the way the politicians make tons of money in this country
    No, I don't like seeing ex-Minister who was just out last year I believe from state work to suddenly buy £8 mln house, it should raise a lot of questions not just in HMRC but also in MI5, MI6 and especially MI7.

Labour Party should be asking some hard questions also.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Well, if you do not like the way the politicians make tons of money in this country you can always f *ck off back to Russia where there is complete transparency and everybody pays taxes honestly and there is no corruption.

Well said that man !

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Where he got the money from, £8 mln with all taxes paid means he should have somehow earned £16 mln or something in a period of a few years since wasn't high ranking official?

This country should make all tax returns public information just in like in USA - crowdsource identification of those who pay 3.5% income tax as well in exchange for half the tax recovered after successful investigation.

Well, if you do not like the way the politicians make tons of money in this country you can always f *ck off back to Russia where there is complete transparency and everybody pays taxes honestly and there is no corruption.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    While HMRC are allowed to do things retrospectively, other laws and regulations changes can't be applied in that fashion.
    Everything is possible, especially removal of stuff provided in the future - the Parliament can do anything, so long as there are JD Sports stores around the country rioting won't threaten them.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    What a waste of money it is protecting Tony Blair.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I am suprised that State security offered to him isn't based on means testing, surely anybody who earns so much dosh on foreign trips done for their private reasons should not be using taxpayer funded security?
    While HMRC are allowed to do things retrospectively, other laws and regulations changes can't be applied in that fashion.

Also he's entitled.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I am suprised that State security offered to him isn't based on means testing, surely anybody who earns so much dosh on foreign trips done for their private reasons should not be using taxpayer funded security?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    We don't know how many firms he is a "director" off.
    Tony Blair under pressure to explain if he is avoiding UK taxes - Telegraph

Mr Blair has set up a complicated series of firms through which he is paid and his charitable work is funded. The structure has confused accountants and solicitors

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Let's say he worked for 10 years in Govt with PM like salary of £150k, so that's £1.5 mln over that period and half paid in taxes (assumption here), lots spend on stuff so not much cash should remain for a deposit on such house. Now assuming he gets x3 his current salary then it would mean he should be earning £2.5 mln per year just now.

£8 mln is a pretty large amount for a loan and I think when recently resigned public official makes such purchase then HMRC and police should automatically open investigation to make sure it's all legit.
    We don't know how many firms he is a "director" off.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Mandelson will rake in shed loads consulting to firms on government policy.

..and it is the pink pound as well.
    Most consulting is not actual consulting but a way to legitimise bribes.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Mandelson will rake in shed loads consulting to firms on government policy.

..and it is the pink pound as well.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Why would you assume he's buying it without a loan?
    Why would you assume he left government penniless with no assets?
    Let's say he worked for 10 years in Govt with PM like salary of £150k, so that's £1.5 mln over that period and half paid in taxes (assumption here), lots spend on stuff so not much cash should remain for a deposit on such house. Now assuming he gets x3 his current salary then it would mean he should be earning £2.5 mln per year just now.

£8 mln is a pretty large amount for a loan and I think when recently resigned public official makes such purchase then HMRC and police should automatically open investigation to make sure it's all legit.

Bliar also gets lots of dosh but at least it is known he goes around the world to read those lectures, and his wife makes a few quid on the back of Human Rights legislation.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Not for the first time he is talking some sense. Bliar should have been a great PM, the only tiny thing wrong with him in my view was everything he actually did.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Where he got the money from, £8 mln with all taxes paid means he should have somehow earned £16 mln or something in a period of a few years since wasn't high ranking official?
    Outstanding logic Holmes.

Why would you assume he's buying it without a loan?
    Why would you assume he left government penniless with no assets?

His 1st resignation was because he was found to have bought property with the aid of an interest free loan from another MP.

I've no idea how much he made from his book or how much business he gets from his Bilderburg mates

Leave a comment:

Working...
X