• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "MX-5 for daily commute?"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Torrango View Post
    Would love to get an MX-5, but now a little concerned about suitability for motorway commuting, especially when it's bucketing down with rain/spray as it has been this past week. Casting the net wider, wondered if you fine folks had any thoughts on the following which all can be found in budget (under 5k), if a little older.

1. Audi TT (2001)
    2. Mercedes SLK (2002)
    3. Chrysler Crossfire (2003)

I'd say my criteria are

1. Something fun/unusual (so rules out plenty of perfectly good but commonplace cars like mondeos, 3-series, golf etc). 2 seats fine, 2+2 probably ideal but limits options. I realise the cars above may not be "unusual" to many, but they would be compared to most cars on my commute and client car parks.
    2. Reasonable fuel costs (do around 400 miles/week on current project)
    3. Reliable with reasonable maintenance costs.
    4. Comfortable enough for daily 1 hour commute each way (this will be my only car)
    5. Probably not much older than the ones above unless there was something particularly special about them.

Have discounted the S2000 because of the lack of low end torque - don't really want to have to rev like crazy to get any power, especially in the city. RX-8 drinks too much oil and petrol, and also prone to problems with shorter journeys. Boxsters are just out of the price range, and as mentioned earlier in the thread might be a bit too flash for the car park.

Not planning on taking the car on track days.
    Those three cars you listed are all inferior to the s2000 in handling, performance and reliability. It doesn't have to be revved like crazy and keep in mind an MX-5 of that age has less torque. If you don't like changing gear, get an automatic or a diesel not a sports car.
    Don't discount the RX-8 this was What car best coupe until the new generation Audi TT. Also look at the Toyota MR-2, think of it as a reliable and well built Lotus Elise.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 28 August 2011, 21:39.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by Torrango View Post
    Would love to get an MX-5, but now a little concerned about suitability for motorway commuting, especially when it's bucketing down with rain/spray as it has been this past week. Casting the net wider, wondered if you fine folks had any thoughts on the following which all can be found in budget (under 5k), if a little older.

1. Audi TT (2001)
    2. Mercedes SLK (2002)

I'd say my criteria are

1. Something fun/unusual (so rules out plenty of perfectly good but commonplace cars like mondeos, 3-series, golf etc). 2 seats fine, 2+2 probably ideal but limits options. I realise the cars above may not be "unusual" to many, but they would be compared to most cars on my commute and client car parks.
    4. Comfortable enough for daily 1 hour commute each way (this will be my only car)
    5. Probably not much older than the ones above unless there was something particularly special about them.

Have discounted the S2000 because of the lack of low end torque - don't really want to have to rev like crazy to get any power, especially in the city. RX-8 drinks too much oil and petrol, and also prone to problems with shorter journeys. Boxsters are just out of the price range, and as mentioned earlier in the thread might be a bit too flash for the car park.

C-class Merc - 5-7yrs old for under £7k. Perfect for your needs. I got one for commuting and love it.

Leave a comment:

• Torrango
    replied

1. Audi TT (2001)
    2. Mercedes SLK (2002)

I'd say my criteria are

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Anyone who calls a car gay has penile size/gender attribute/sexual orientation issues.
    HTH
    Not so, I have a Lexus that's gay. It pretends to have a straight 6 engine but always gets taken from behind on the motorway. That said, it's a very comfortable ride in the back.

Oh, maybe it's me then

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Anyone who calls a car gay has penile size/gender attribute/sexual orientation issues.
    HTH

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    PS The MX-5 is gay.
    No... it really isn't.

Cracking car, lots of fun on a country road.

Mk1 and 2 the best, later models suffering from car-bloat (like all modern cars).

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied

Plan B idea: Offer to take internet muppet's mundane machinery around the Nurburgring so they can prove how their tulipbox is not really a laughing stock.

Think I'll start with the MaxPower brigade. They're always mug for a laugh.

Just need to 'talk' Sabine into doing the driving.

Leave a comment:

• ThomasSoerensen
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

MX5s are great cars, but they're always driven by people who never go above 40mph, and never put the roof down.
    Always is a dangerous word. It most often makes the user look like a tool.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    The S2000 is bugger all use if you are of average height or taller.
    I do have the seat wedged as far back as it'll go. And I'm 6'1. But I know taller people who seem to cope.

S2000s are getting ridiculously cheap now. I doubt I'd get more than £3K for mine.

MX5s are great cars, but they're always driven by people who never go above 40mph, and never put the roof down.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    That's not true, plenty of room for me at 6ft and I know people well over 6ft who can fit in. I think you are confusing height with width, fatty!

PS The MX-5 is gay.
    WHS.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    The S2000 is bugger all use if you are of average height or taller. VX not far different.
    That's not true, plenty of room for me at 6ft and I know people well over 6ft who can fit in. I think you are confusing height with width, fatty!

PS The MX-5 is gay.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post

It might be a shed but it's a bloody quick shed. 0-60 in 3 sec is Ariel Atom territory.
    pah! That's nothing, my Evo used to do 2.4s to sixty....with 800hp and drag tyres though

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Yeah but Bochum is a stinking sh!thole!

So is Luton.

Fortunately most car owners don't have to go near either.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Then it gets mocked at the petrol station for being a kit car. Poor thing can't win.

GM should have continued with the Opel brand in the UK for it's sportier models when it did the Opel Manta. The gen pop love the German motors.
    Yeah but Bochum is a stinking sh!thole!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    'I thought it would be better to build it as a two-seater as what's the point in scaring the life out of yourself when you could be doing it to a passenger too.'

It might be a shed but it's a bloody quick shed. 0-60 in 3 sec is Ariel Atom territory.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X