• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MX-5 for daily commute?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

It might be a shed but it's a bloody quick shed. 0-60 in 3 sec is Ariel Atom territory.
    pah! That's nothing, my Evo used to do 2.4s to sixty....with 800hp and drag tyres though

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
      The S2000 is bugger all use if you are of average height or taller. VX not far different.
      That's not true, plenty of room for me at 6ft and I know people well over 6ft who can fit in. I think you are confusing height with width, fatty!

PS The MX-5 is gay.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
        That's not true, plenty of room for me at 6ft and I know people well over 6ft who can fit in. I think you are confusing height with width, fatty!

PS The MX-5 is gay.
        WHS.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
          The S2000 is bugger all use if you are of average height or taller.
          I do have the seat wedged as far back as it'll go. And I'm 6'1. But I know taller people who seem to cope.

S2000s are getting ridiculously cheap now. I doubt I'd get more than £3K for mine.

MX5s are great cars, but they're always driven by people who never go above 40mph, and never put the roof down.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

MX5s are great cars, but they're always driven by people who never go above 40mph, and never put the roof down.
            Always is a dangerous word. It most often makes the user look like a tool.

"Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Plan B idea: Offer to take internet muppet's mundane machinery around the Nurburgring so they can prove how their tulipbox is not really a laughing stock.

Think I'll start with the MaxPower brigade. They're always mug for a laugh.

Just need to 'talk' Sabine into doing the driving.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                PS The MX-5 is gay.
                No... it really isn't.

Cracking car, lots of fun on a country road.

Mk1 and 2 the best, later models suffering from car-bloat (like all modern cars).
                Do what thou wilt

Comment

Anyone who calls a car gay has penile size/gender attribute/sexual orientation issues.
                  HTH
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Anyone who calls a car gay has penile size/gender attribute/sexual orientation issues.
                    HTH
                    Not so, I have a Lexus that's gay. It pretends to have a straight 6 engine but always gets taken from behind on the motorway. That said, it's a very comfortable ride in the back.

Oh, maybe it's me then

Comment

Would love to get an MX-5, but now a little concerned about suitability for motorway commuting, especially when it's bucketing down with rain/spray as it has been this past week. Casting the net wider, wondered if you fine folks had any thoughts on the following which all can be found in budget (under 5k), if a little older.

1. Audi TT (2001)
                      2. Mercedes SLK (2002)
                      3. Chrysler Crossfire (2003)

I'd say my criteria are

1. Something fun/unusual (so rules out plenty of perfectly good but commonplace cars like mondeos, 3-series, golf etc). 2 seats fine, 2+2 probably ideal but limits options. I realise the cars above may not be "unusual" to many, but they would be compared to most cars on my commute and client car parks.
                      2. Reasonable fuel costs (do around 400 miles/week on current project)
                      3. Reliable with reasonable maintenance costs.
                      4. Comfortable enough for daily 1 hour commute each way (this will be my only car)
                      5. Probably not much older than the ones above unless there was something particularly special about them.

Have discounted the S2000 because of the lack of low end torque - don't really want to have to rev like crazy to get any power, especially in the city. RX-8 drinks too much oil and petrol, and also prone to problems with shorter journeys. Boxsters are just out of the price range, and as mentioned earlier in the thread might be a bit too flash for the car park.

Not planning on taking the car on track days.

Comment

Working...
                      X