• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Looter pwned

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Looter pwned"

Collapse

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Not that I can tell but I use it on a second hard drive where the data is stored. Don't mind people stealing my holiday snaps but commercials from clients is another issue.

This is what I use for location: LoJack for Laptops

Edit: That link talks about Macs, I have a HP so not exactly the same but it is the Lo-Jack stuff provided by HP in the motherboard.

cool will look into this as will soon have to start using my own laptop for work which I really cant afford to lose...

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    I know I should, but to be honest insurance and Dropbox are what I use.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
    does the disk encryption slow your machine down at all?
    Not that I can tell but I use it on a second hard drive where the data is stored. Don't mind people stealing my holiday snaps but commercials from clients is another issue.

Edit: That link talks about Macs, I have a HP so not exactly the same but it is the Lo-Jack stuff provided by HP in the motherboard.
    Last edited by Sockpuppet; 17 August 2011, 08:50.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    The BBC news reported that he used to work for the FBI and Google so I assume he's more than your average home user.

HP Protect Tools is good for that. I have it on this laptop and its part of the bios/motherboard so you can't get rid of it even by changing the OS. It uses the hardware to call home and tell me where it is.
    does the disk encryption slow your machine down at all?

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by StopTheEarthIwantToGetOff View Post
    Some muppet installing software he found on the internet and then using it for its intended purpose does not a hacker make.
    ok it's obvious he's not a hacker (macker more like) but what justice anyway!! would love to be able to do something like that, I would have had some fun with his facebook/email contact list first though, I'd have logged in and told all his freinds/family that he was one of the looters, change is password and repeat for all other sites he belongs to, in fact I'd continue to mess with his accounts as an act of ongoing revenge....
    The BBC news reported that he used to work for the FBI and Google so I assume he's more than your average home user.

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Which was lucky as, by the sounds of it, if he hadn't and re-formatted/replaced the hard drive, he may never have been caught.

Note to self: Install prey on laptop and remove password protection.
    HP Protect Tools is good for that. I have it on this laptop and its part of the bios/motherboard so you can't get rid of it even by changing the OS. It uses the hardware to call home and tell me where it is.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Read some of the comments... talk about technically illiterate!
    Bit harsh. Nick Fitz looked like he new what he was talking about.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Read some of the comments... talk about technically illiterate!

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Note to self: Install prey on laptop
    Insecure until bugs are fixed

shrp.me/docs - Don't Use Prey

...remove password protection.
    No need

How To Create A New Administrator Account - Hack Mac

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Which was lucky as, by the sounds of it, if he hadn't and re-formatted/replaced the hard drive, he may never have been caught.

My account has a psswd but the more limited guest acct doesn't.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    It was, the looter just created another account.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    WIS.

Yes, because the first thing the average Mac user does with their new MacBook is experiment with hash cracking using the GPU: Greg Martin's blog - InfoSecurity 2.0: New 13" Macbook Pro GPU Hash Cracking NTLM/MD5/SHA1
    yep that's the first thing my mum tried to do when she got her iPhone

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Have a read of some of his previous postings

<snip>

It's quite clear he works in the 'industry'. Muppet.
    WIS.

ok it's obvious he's not a hacker (macker more like)...
    Yes, because the first thing the average Mac user does with their new MacBook is experiment with hash cracking using the GPU: Greg Martin's blog - InfoSecurity 2.0: New 13" Macbook Pro GPU Hash Cracking NTLM/MD5/SHA1

Although in fact that is a pretty typical use for a Mac these days - go to a tech conference these days and all those people that used to have a Dell running Linux have a MacBook Pro, often still running Linux, or more usually a few Linux VMs.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Originally posted by StopTheEarthIwantToGetOff View Post
    Some muppet installing software he found on the internet and then using it for its intended purpose does not a hacker make.
    Why do people make such complete and utter bollocks postings without doing a bit of research first.

Have a read of some of his previous postings

Greg Martin's blog - InfoSecurity 2.0: Matt Jonkman leaves Bleeding Edge Threats...

Greg Martin's blog - InfoSecurity 2.0: To jailbreak or not to jailbreak the iPhone 3G

Greg Martin's blog - InfoSecurity 2.0: Blackhat / Defcon 2008 Security Tool Round-up

Greg Martin's blog - InfoSecurity 2.0: Kaminsky DNS Cache Poisoning PoC Exploit in Metasploit SVN

It's quite clear he works in the 'industry'. Muppet.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Bad karma, just get on with your life.
    No such thing as Karma....

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    ok it's obvious he's not a hacker (macker more like) but what justice anyway!! would love to be able to do something like that, I would have had some fun with his facebook/email contact list first though, I'd have logged in and told all his freinds/family that he was one of the looters, change is password and repeat for all other sites he belongs to, in fact I'd continue to mess with his accounts as an act of ongoing revenge....
    Bad karma, just get on with your life.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X