• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Flash Points Across the Continent"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Ooh, you do like your selective postings, SS
    Prosperous Germany is also feeling the pinch of cost-cutting measures. The German National Poverty Conference (NAK) warns that prospects for young people are only growing worse. As youth welfare services are cut, they say, other services, such as the charity missions run from train stations throughout the country, are seeing more young people in need. And to find proof that Germany is also home to a latent tendency toward violence, look no further than the yearly riots on May 1 -- International Workers' Day -- in Berlin's Kreuzberg district and Hamburg's Schanzenviertel.
    There is a slight difference between what happens in Germany and what happened in the UK. For start most riots are political and are caused by left wing agitators normally when there is a facist march on. The 1st May riots happen every year and have done for many years and the police know what to do and are prepared and they're not afraid to go in with truncheons and water cannons. In fact most of the demonstrations on 1st May are very peaceful until the left wing (mainly students, unemployed hippies, left wing agitators and the like) decide to kick off. Funnily enough when the riot wing do have a march and there is no opposition there are no riots, no damage, no looting...

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I reckon the fact that they don't get their noses rubbed in it constantly by a relentless parade of incredibly affluent people going about their business is a factor as well.
    If that were the case Edinburgh would have been turned over on day 1.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishface View Post
    Some of the housing schemes in Scotland are in much worse condition, residents poorer and outlook bleaker than anything I have seen in London - the ones in london are middle class in comparison. Some schemes are now having 3 generations of full time unemployment. Yet haven't got to rioting yet, maybe its the rain that stops them.
    I reckon the fact that they don't get their noses rubbed in it constantly by a relentless parade of incredibly affluent people going about their business is a factor as well.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishface View Post
    Yet haven't got to rioting yet, maybe its the rain that stops them.
    I think it is more 'Don't sheet where you eat' which prevents the rioting. It's not gonna happen besides the neds know they'd be run over of the pollis in a second.

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    Some of the housing schemes in Scotland are in much worse condition, residents poorer and outlook bleaker than anything I have seen in London - the ones in london are middle class in comparison. Some schemes are now having 3 generations of full time unemployment. Yet haven't got to rioting yet, maybe its the rain that stops them.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    You're not supposed to take any interest!

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    It could happen anywhere. Even London is 'not the same thing'.
    People from outside London think of it as one city, and Londoners as Londoners, but from the inside it's a conurbation. The natives know their own little patch like the back of their hands, and (apart from the main routes through) are almost as lost as the rest of us if they step outside it. So if somebody brought up in, say, Greenwich was to move to Camden, he would nearly feel like he was emigrating.
    The only time I have ever hit serious trouble was in Bristol, and it was in posh Clifton, not St.Pauls :-)

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    You're not supposed to take any interest!

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    I went down to Poplar in Tower Hamlets last week for an interview. The bit I saw wasn't too bad. There were a lot of flat developments, and I suspect the riverside developments (which I didn't see) would have been bought by city types to rent out to the council to house crack dealing immigrants in.
    FTFY.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    And then Knightsbridge, Westminister and Nottinghill will want secession from Tower Hamlets and Hackney.
    Actually, Tower Hamlets does contain the postcode that contains the highest earners in the country.

- However, this postcode is for a single block of apartments right next to Canary Wharf (most of the new blocks of apartments in that area have a single postcode for each building).

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    I went down to Poplar in Tower Hamlets last week for an interview. The bit I saw wasn't too bad. There were a lot of flat developments, and I suspect the riverside developments (which I didn't see) would have been bought by city types. I suspect that if you avoid nasty neighbours, it isn't too bad a place to live at all. You're close to both the city and Docklands for work, and it's in the Olympics zone too. The people I passed by on the street seemed decent and law-abiding, and I didn't feel that sense of "watch your back" you get in say Hackney or Stratford. However it's true to say it was mid-day, and things may deteriorate at night.
    I lived in Poplar for eight years (left in 2008).

The part that I was in for the last six years was OK. If I decided at eleven o'clock at night that I needed another bottle of wine then I could walk down the road to the off-licence and although I would have to dodge the occasional crack-addled hooker I didn't feel too unsafe. I was living right next to Canary Wharf at that point.

Before that I lived about a thirty minute walk away from Canary Wharf for two years and I was only robbed at knife-point once. There are some parts around there that I would avoid at night though, but its not as bad as it was twenty years ago.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    And then Knightsbridge, Westminister and Nottinghill will want secession from Tower Hamlets and Hackney.

And The City will man the barricades 'cos everyone will want a piece of them.
    I went down to Poplar in Tower Hamlets last week for an interview. The bit I saw wasn't too bad. There were a lot of flat developments, and I suspect the riverside developments (which I didn't see) would have been bought by city types. I suspect that if you avoid nasty neighbours, it isn't too bad a place to live at all. You're close to both the city and Docklands for work, and it's in the Olympics zone too. The people I passed by on the street seemed decent and law-abiding, and I didn't feel that sense of "watch your back" you get in say Hackney or Stratford. However it's true to say it was mid-day, and things may deteriorate at night.

Maybe we could deport all the troublesome oiks to Liverpool and Newcastle, and then London would be a paradise?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Prosperous Germany is also feeling the pinch of cost-cutting measures. The German National Poverty Conference (NAK) warns that prospects for young people are only growing worse. As youth welfare services are cut, they say, other services, such as the charity missions run from train stations throughout the country, are seeing more young people in need. And to find proof that Germany is also home to a latent tendency toward violence, look no further than the yearly riots on May 1 -- International Workers' Day -- in Berlin's Kreuzberg district and Hamburg's Schanzenviertel.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

And The City will man the barricades 'cos everyone will want a piece of them.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    Really? London has some of the greatest concentrations of poverty in the country.
    OK so we make Sasguru's house a separate country too?

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Like how London and Britain are like not the same thing. I agree.

What will it take to change this awful statistic? Make London an independent country and the balance is restored.
    Really? London has some of the greatest concentrations of poverty in the country.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X