• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is Reading really that bad?"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    you don't live in Slough if you have any sense but the surrounding areas are far better than you think. Burnham, Farnham Common, Langley, Datchet etc.

Plenty of good shopping but don't go to town for a night out best evenings are in surrounding areas.

I used to live in one of the best areas in Guildford now live just outside Slough I actually prefer it, mainly nicer people (less snobby) better shops and better restaurants.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Reading is OK, I've worked in town and the TV Park

Croydon is shit, I've worked in two places there and it's got nothing to commend it at all

Glass tables

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    yeah

why does she do that ?

It was a misunderstanding, she was asked to appear on ITV’s “New Faces”

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Do you know Una Stubbs?
    yeah

why does she do that ?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Do you have a glass coffee table?
    Do you know Una Stubbs?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Not a bad place not too rough
    Doesn't look like you need to be tough
    what a nice place it is, good old Slough

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Luckily git, I always have to pay to see stuff like that
    Do you have a glass coffee table?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Working there is pretty grim too... although when I was there I did have the use of the underground car park under the office so didn't have to spend too much time abosrbing the multitude of cultures.
    Slough definitely has the worst tescos I have ever been in though. It constantly feels dirty and looted

For the record I stayed in Windsor when I was there. Only 10 minutes drive away but feels like another country!
    Slough was a horrible drive from Yorkshire. I ended up getting the plane then bus from Heathrow. As long as I picked my flying times carefully I could get away with standby tickets - no contest!

I started out staying in a country pub to the west, but once I decided to leave the car at home I found a nice spot in Maidenhead, a short train journey away.

Oh, just remembered - I would have spent summer evenings exploring the area, but the buses stopped running too early. WTF?

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    His pic is the only thing about him that has bugged you?!
    apart from one or two obvious trolls I wouldn't say anyone bugs me...

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
    your avatar pic has bugged me for ages and last night I finally worked out where it was from
    His pic is the only thing about him that has bugged you?!

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    your avatar pic has bugged me for ages and last night I finally worked out where it was from

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Perv! It fair put me off my mid-morning hob-nob.

Leave a comment:

• KimberleyChris
    replied
    Spent eight years there. Reading isn't hell on earth, but you can start to feel the London effect there.
    Great for lunchtimes and nights out, but I wouldn't live there. Draw circles around Whitley, and Dee Road in Tilehurst and colour them in red if you're renting.
    On balance, I'd go for Basingstoke, which still has a bit of life about it and is also still handy for the trains and motorway to the smoke if you fancy a trip out. Likewise Bracknell.
    Newbury is very quiet, if you like your peace and quiet.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    While working in Maidenhead, the entire office witnessed an Asian lady passing by, stopped, gathered up her sari(?), squatted down and pi$$ed right on the pavement.

Well if it's good enough for Paula Radcliffe it's good enough for anyone.

Funniest incident like that I've seen was observing a drunken old gent pissing out of a pub door mid afternoon. The area was a typical northern tuliphole though so easy mistake to make.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    While working in Maidenhead, the entire office witnessed an Asian lady passing by, stopped, gathered up her sari(?), squatted down and pi$$ed right on the pavement.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X