• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Shortage of IT staff in Germany"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    I'm on XING but keep forgetting to check it (really must update my profile.) I've had some offers through it but nothing I'm interested in but you don't get the same level of crap that you do from Linkedin, i.e.

Hello
    We are looking for DB2 UDB Administrator for our Client at Somerset, NJ / Rensselaer, NY Please let me know your interest and send me your resume ASAP at laxmi@itscient(dot)com or call me 510-972-52 two seven
    Yep, he didn't read my profile properly.

I use GULP quite a lot, also pay, and have been quite succesfull and have actually worked for GULP directly on small projects.

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    So where do agencies acting on behalf of German recruiters place ads for IT staff?
    I was advised here to register with GULP and pay them. I took that advice, and eventually was successful. GULP is a big agency in Germany as well as a site which other agents use.

However, my German colleagues tell me they get loads more offers on XING, which is the German equivalent of LinkedIn. Anybody tried XING?

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    I've taken to speaking like polish (not the same as speaking polish) when confronted with someone from scum-class. Confuses them no-end.

Also like to wear clothing with loose sleeves so I can do the 'no hands' routine when confronted with people handing out flyers or begging on the street. Stuns them long enough (thinking I don't really have any hands) for me to move out of range.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Not fast enough. English should be the official first language of Europe that everyone has to learn and be willing to use in public.

i.e. It should be illegal when you go to France or Germany and the locals pretend they don't understand you. Yet when you're in their shop and clearing their shelves of wine or cheese, they suddenly understand very well.
    Yet again when you try to get your money back for shoddy goods, they mysteriously lose their command of English.

Heck, even I suddenly don't speaka da Eengleesh when confronted with chav tourists or a certain class of Yank

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Why invent a new language, english is already becoming the international language (much to the annoyance of the French)

Not fast enough. English should be the official first language of Europe that everyone has to learn and be willing to use in public.

i.e. It should be illegal when you go to France or Germany and the locals pretend they don't understand you. Yet when you're in their shop and clearing their shelves of wine or cheese, they suddenly understand very well.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    I was told that most of the English technical books that were translated into German were done so badly that quite often they made no sence at all. Most German IT people I know read technical books in English.
    The brighter IT bods will also try to do MCITP / Cisco / whatever qualifications in English.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    That's suprising.

Maybe there's mileage in a universal language that is both easy to learn and understand. We already have the sign language, starting at one finger and working upwards.

Anyone tried inventing a new simple yet extensible language since Esperanto?

Or does it take world wars and empires to convince people to move away from awkward and archaic languages?
    Why invent a new language, english is already becoming the international language (much to the annoyance of the French)

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    All my code, comments, e-mails, documentation, etc. is done in English although interviews and day to day stuff is in German. Most of the people I work, or have worked, with prefer to deal with English technical documentation as the German is far to difficult to read, even for native speakers.
    I was told that most of the English technical books that were translated into German were done so badly that quite often they made no sence at all. Most German IT people I know read technical books in English.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    German is far to difficult to read, even for native speakers.
    That's suprising.

Maybe there's mileage in a universal language that is both easy to learn and understand. We already have the sign language, starting at one finger and working upwards.

Anyone tried inventing a new simple yet extensible language since Esperanto?

Or does it take world wars and empires to convince people to move away from awkward and archaic languages?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    All my code, comments, e-mails, documentation, etc. is done in English although interviews and day to day stuff is in German. Most of the people I work, or have worked, with prefer to deal with English technical documentation as the German is far to difficult to read, even for native speakers.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    I'd probably feel embarassed working in a country without knowing any of the language other than a few key phrases.

For all the advances humans have made in the last 100 years, a decent automated language translator seems to be missing from the list.

Maybe if unemployment is a problem there are fit young women looking for a role as translator. I'm sure the clients wouldn't mind me turning up with a PA who intermediates all conversations and document reading. As long as she's wearing a suitably short skirt and plenty of cleavage on show.

Would probably need to bring her along to the interview too.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Do you code in English when contracting in Germany or elsewhere with a different native language?

Anyone contracting in a country where English is only the second language, without any appreciable skills in the country's main language? How hard is it to do that?
    Languages with English keywords are the same, that's most of them AFAIK. Naming of things in programs and the language of comments vary, I worked for a large multinational that nominated English as the "official language" so I hardly had to use German at all in the office but I did come across a few bits of legacy code with German and "Denglish" comments.

I suspect if I was looking for another job out there my fairly limited German would be a handicap but it certainly wouldn't make it impossible.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Do you code in English when contracting in Germany or elsewhere with a different native language?

Anyone contracting in a country where English is only the second language, without any appreciable skills in the country's main language? How hard is it to do that?
    Think 'bob issues'. The code may be syntactically correct but was the specification properly understood.

I'm not a code monkey but some of the projects I am involved in require the German/French business to specify requirements which are reviewed by Brit/American architects and then sent offshore for coding.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I think it was Sasguru who mentioned today that there was an IT skills shortage in Germany.

I'd be happy to consider contracting there (and have done in the past); but I very rarely see ads on Jobserve.

So where do agencies acting on behalf of German recruiters place ads for IT staff?
    One of the reasons there's such a shortage of IT workers in Germany is because of the amount of time German workers spend going back to University.

I spent a couple of years over there and had a great time.

Don't mention the war though. I did but I think I got away with it.

If you get the chance, go, fly, arbeit macht frei!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied

You code in English, and a lot of comments are in English too (sort of). According to several folks I've asked, English can be a lot more concise than German.

Beware translated Excel files linky

Leave a comment:

Working...
X