• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Google+

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Google+"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Is it a Facebook assasin ?

Will it die like GoogleWave ?
    Time will tell.

An interesting development on the Skype front, Ballmer may have demonstrated some nous here:

Microsoft's Skype deal was about Facebook

It is starting to look like Microsoft's move to buy Skype was an inspired bit of footwork which gets Vole its feet well and truly under the table of the world's biggest social not-working company, and in an alliance against Google.

Facebook has announced that it has integrated Video Calling with Skype and its CEO Mark Zuckerberg admitted that what clinched the deal was that Microsoft now owned the company.
    The social networking wars hot up...

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    This chap doesn't seem to have got the hang of it yet

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Yes, from the 1st August all private profiles will be closed, but there are still ways to protect your privacy
    Yes, put fake details on in the first place.

BTW, I haven't checked recently, but if my CUK profile has a birth date entered I guarantee you it won't be the correct one (I never put my correct birth date in anything that allows me not to), so apologies for missing any suprise birthday parties.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Yes, from the 1st August all private profiles will be closed, but there are still ways to protect your privacy

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Is it Google+ that is going to force you to have public profiles soon, with all private profiles being automatically deleted after a certain date?

If so, I can't see how Google will be any better than Facebook for privacy issues and putting the user before their own meglomania plans.

I'm a bit suprised no-ones come up with a browser based p2p alternative that retains control with the user and also provides as much privacy or anonymity as they desire.

These centralised goliath solutions are always going to be open to abuse by the site owners, where they will be tempted to put a price on your private/personal information. So for that reason I'm out.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I haven't even joined Facebook yet.
    I haven't either. I have a google+ account because it makes it easier to share links with others but that's it and the gplus account because I like having a consistent online name and I don't have the correct twitter one.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I haven't even joined Facebook yet.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    No surprise there, he used to work for Google
    So what? I used to work for Yahoo! but I can still tell the difference between Y!Crap and Y!Cool

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Anyone got their short url yet from gplus.to?
    I have now. Thanks eek!

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Anyone got their short url yet from gplus.to?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Shame you can only share the article by facebook, twitter or email.....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    It appears to be some sort of "recommend this page" button
    It is.

Google +1 Button

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    This chap seems to be impressed: Google+ is Awesome. Facebook Maimed, Twitter Mortally Wounded?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Nope - think the +1 is something different. Kind of like facebook like, but separate from google + I think.
    It appears to be some sort of "recommend this page" button

Leave a comment:

Working...
X