• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: I used to love SAP

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I used to love SAP"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    The Oracle of Delphi was an expert in SAP apparently.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Getting data out of SAP into other systems has always been tricky. You are supposed to be a loyal SAP customer and only use SAP products. They talk to each other quite well.

My currently client feeds non-SAP dbs via a mixture of csv flat files - but without having problems of them being malformed - and via SAP XI/PI middleware thing.
    sounds like its more a problem that exists between the keyboard and the chair...

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    yes a lot of the self service stuff has moved back onto the backends

but BPM will keep wdp4j alive with ce soa apps for mdm and pi

anyway, I don't care what they're programming in, I'm basis with focus on the non-a systems

the systems the old basis dinosaurs are scared to touch - just the way I likes it

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    oi

stay away from all the Java based components, they're mine...
    WD4J is dead. WD4A is the only way.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    that's the beauty of .Net, you're rearranging the alphabet every day

Milan.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    done some interesting stuff this week

got bpm transports in the ce landscape via nwdi to work with charm and cts+ close coupling attaching the assembly to an stms transport request

and it works

today deploying jars from an upgraded mq into pi using the jspm and specially modified sda as the container

that's the beauty of .Net, you're learning every day

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    If you force a user to fill something in, he will fill something in.
    If you force someone to spend a lot of time on something he doesn't have time for, he will find a way of spending less time on it.
    If you force someone to do something complicated and boring, he will find a way of making it easy and fun.

You have very little control over what 'something' is.
    Human nature.

Sadly many design and Process bods rule out this along with common sense when building appilcations and processes.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    oi

stay away from all the Java based components, they're mine

you lot stick to anything involving the gui and leave the rest for me

so that means anything running on J and also MDM

if it involves the gui I'm not interested

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Getting data out of SAP into other systems has always been tricky. You are supposed to be a loyal SAP customer and only use SAP products. They talk to each other quite well.

My currently client feeds non-SAP dbs via a mixture of csv flat files - but without having problems of them being malformed - and via SAP XI/PI middleware thing.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Because it's so tulip it delivers bucketloads of money for testers and other assorted contractors.

Now I ******* hate it because i have to use it to fill in my hours and make my timesheet and the bloody thing doesn't work, you have to fill in your hours, some secretary who's invariably off sick has to then accept them, before sending them to a random PM to accept and only then I can print the bloody sheet and get it signed by my own PM. And all the while SAP fails to recognize the dates I've filled in using the little calendar provided in the app, bla bla bla what a load of overpriced overrated overblown bollox.
    I read your post a while back about loving it cos it keeps you in work and meant to ask why it seems so hard for business users to get data from. Last three projects have delivered data from SAP in csv....there was no way we could use ODBC to pump the data straight into a DB and had to tackled malformed csv files on a monthly basis. In fact current project has such a SAP skill shortage at the client end they cant even produce single data files, we get a smorgasbord of files that need to be consolidated. So question is is SAP just a hard to use application or are the average users non-technical in your experience - the SAP outputs always seem to be the weak part of the chain...

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    The German IT folks don't agree.

The could not even get my name on the office door correct. It read's 'Scot Scooter' and of course the error has filtered to every electronically registered file in the universe, including SAP.
    I've got a bunch of course certificates like that.

Except they managed to work my middle name into the equation.

Log on using firstname.lastname they said.

So please tell me. What do you have for my firstname.lastname?

Just use firstname.lastname.

Got my login name right by standing over the guy while he did it.

Eventually.

Course certificate still came out wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
    Are you actually saying that the implementation of SAP led to a take over ???
    I wondered if going the SAP route was a means of telling the world that they'd got to a certain size, so yes.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    So really, your beef with SAP is a bad implementation of a very small part of it, by an autocratic, user-hostile IT department. I can only marvel at their achievement.
    IT departments are bad enough, the german IT bot takes it to a whole new level. "Ja but we do not have insurance to move that computer screen to the desk next to you."

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    So really, your beef with SAP is a bad implementation of a very small part of it, by an autocratic, user-hostile IT department. I can only marvel at their achievement.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    SAP HR paid for a Mercedes and two exotic holidays. Long live tulip software!
    I pray SAP will become the BEBO of the business world.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X