• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "LinkedIn and Plan Bs and being secretive"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
    Simple: do the social/viral thing - post as yourself and a few other sockies, retweeting the co updates etc saying what a cool nice product, or for even more effect say it sucks and have members of said group prove you wrong so that THEY become the ambassadors of your PlanB, see here:
    And today I have learned that the Romanian for how is "cum"

It's at 1:24.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Beware of LinkedIn - changes to their T & Cs

As of 16 June

Summary of Changes to LinkedIn User Agreement | LinkedIn

Particularly this section...

Section 2.M: We added this section to explain that ideas, suggestions, proposals, etc. sent to LinkedIn should not be confidential or contain proprietary information, and do not obligate LinkedIn to use the ideas, keep them confidential, etc. Further, this section provides notice that we have many ideas under development at LinkedIn, some of which may be similar to yours,
    and that by submitting your ideas to LinkedIn, they become the property of LinkedIn with no obligation to you whatsoever.

Leave a comment:

• xchaotic
    replied
    Simple: do the social/viral thing - post as yourself and a few other sockies, retweeting the co updates etc saying what a cool nice product, or for even more effect say it sucks and have members of said group prove you wrong so that THEY become the ambassadors of your PlanB, see here:

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    There are plenty of LinkedIn groups related to an area I plan to launch a plan B in
    You still think there's a market for clockwork musical Nativity figures then?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I get a strong sense of deja vu reading this, because only a few years ago (when he was 85) my father proposed to start a web company which would specialize in hosting business collaboration and exchange of commercial ideas.

But the leeching aspect, the flooding with wannabes and spam, and above all getting enough publicity and interest to achieve a critical mass, plus the existing social networks like LinkedIn, all seemed to make it impractical.

He decided the only way to keep up standards, and some exclusivity, would be to charge a hefty fee, which of course would also hopefully make the thing profitable. I thought this was pretty impractical at the time, and the project went no further. But now I'm not so sure.

He'll laugh if I show him this thread. Maybe we can carry on where we left off, although he's now in his 90s.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Yes but no one would answer them either.
    So basically you want people including your mates to answer your questions without putting two plus two together.

I can't see how you can avoid that but it may be better to bring a few of them (especially if they are potential customers) into the loop sooner rather than later.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    So there's the solution. A linkedin Bob sockie could ask as many stupid questions as you want and no one would be any the wiser.
    Yes but no one would answer them either.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Mason Boyne View Post
    Personally I'm getting pissied off with LinkedIn, it seems to be full of Indians who can't do their jobs and need help, agents who want me to be their friend and Marketing bods who insist that I look at their latest "Webinar"!

Odds bodkins, even the C++ experts group is full of people who aren't experts!
    So there's the solution. A linkedin Bob sockie could ask as many stupid questions as you want and no one would be any the wiser.

Leave a comment:

• Mason Boyne
    replied
    Personally I'm getting pissied off with LinkedIn, it seems to be full of Indians who can't do their jobs and need help, agents who want me to be their friend and Marketing bods who insist that I look at their latest "Webinar"!

Odds bodkins, even the C++ experts group is full of people who aren't experts!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    You can't post as a company can you? IIRC like FaceBook, companies are special entities not regular users?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    But that's the point, groups exist with hundreds or even thousands of people who are potentially very valuable sources of information in their field... but the moment I post a question on their group board, my connections will get an email and it's not hard to join the dots.
    So create a linkedin Sockie account and ensure your questions are slightly different.

Its not ideal but I think its the only way to game their system.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Erm, perhaps don't post stuff you want to keep secret on a publicly accessible website?
    But that's the point, groups exist with hundreds or even thousands of people who are potentially very valuable sources of information in their field... but the moment I post a question on their group board, my connections will get an email and it's not hard to join the dots.

It's too valuable a resource to just give up on...
    Last edited by d000hg; 21 June 2011, 11:26.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    There are plenty of LinkedIn groups related to an area I plan to launch a plan B in. However, people I've worked with in this area are already members of these groups too, and I don't really want them getting a nice email notification "d000hg posted XXX" which effectively shows my hand.

Anyone know how to maintain a network on the site, and still be able to do things without your network knowing?
    Create a sockie account.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    There are plenty of LinkedIn groups related to an area I plan to launch a plan B in. However, people I've worked with in this area are already members of these groups too, and I don't really want them getting a nice email notification "d000hg posted XXX" which effectively shows my hand.

Anyone know how to maintain a network on the site, and still be able to do things without your network knowing?
    Erm, perhaps don't post stuff you want to keep secret on a publicly accessible website?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    started a topic LinkedIn and Plan Bs and being secretive

LinkedIn and Plan Bs and being secretive

Working...
X