• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Woe, woe, and thrice woe"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Good news - and bad

The car is now home again with a new trailing arm and handbrake cable (that seems to have been broken by an over-vigorous RAC man), having been trailered up to the local garage who've always worked on it

Total cost: trailer £100, repairs £195; or, £45 more than I paid for the car ten years and 73,000 miles ago

The bad news came when I was settling up for the repairs. The garage is a family business and I was dealing with the owner's son, so I assumed his dad was on holiday, but when I asked after him the son told me that his dad had passed away in his sleep in March

Then, as I offered my commiseration, he added that his mother had died last week

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Somewhere at home I must have the bill from when the offside trailing arm went a few years ago.

It took nearly a week to get the part that time. The garage chap explained that "Ford have got the part, they're just not sure where it is" to which I replied "Don't tell me, it's in a box in the loft and they can't remember which one?"
    Translation: It's on the computer but it's not in the warehouse bin the computer thinks it is.

It could also have gone walkies.

I'd like to keep it going but there are other bits that either need doing or will very soon, so I'm not sure its viable
    I once made the decision to get shut of a car because the cigarette lighter packed in. It was the last straw in a succession of things going wrong.

Mind you, the spanking brand new car that came as its replacement wasn't too reliable either. It can be a case of "better the devil you know..."

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Somewhere at home I must have the bill from when the offside trailing arm went a few years ago.

It took nearly a week to get the part that time. The garage chap explained that "Ford have got the part, they're just not sure where it is" to which I replied "Don't tell me, it's in a box in the loft and they can't remember which one?"

I'd like to keep it going but there are other bits that either need doing or will very soon, so I'm not sure its viable
    1989 Ford Orion 1.6i Ghia Mk. II
    Try these guys, they have parts for pretty much everything.

Cheap Car Parts & Accessories, Engines, 4x4 Parts. Used Euro & Jap Car Parts From Online Car Breakers

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Yesterday I was backing my van out of the drive and there was this awful scraping sound. Panic. Then I found I had left a stool behind it when I was fixing the roof rack.

PS The sort of stool with legs and a seat.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    What was the minor problem? That's a crime.
    I had the car many years ago, the starter motor and flywheel ring needed replacing. The rest of the car was fine. I went to work abroad and left the car in my private driveway. After a few months neighbours complained to police and the police wrote a letter to me saying that the car is causing a nuisance because it spoiling the neighbourhood. I then sent a telex to a friend to dump the car. I did not know about the law then. I now know it was not a police matter and I could have given them two fingers.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    A ford, what? Zephyr?, get it done. 02 Focus with < 50K, get it done. 1995 Fiesta with galactic miles then it's curtains.
    1989 Ford Orion 1.6i Ghia Mk. II

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied

A ford, what? Zephyr?, get it done. 02 Focus with < 50K, get it done. 1995 Fiesta with galactic miles then it's curtains.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    You should be able to get a new trailing arm and bush kit for less than £150 plus the labour to fit it.

Definately worth getting a quote first. Any decent garage should be able to give you a ball park figure over the phone.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Sometimes it's just better to let go

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    My beloved Super Monkey Car has undergone a catastrophic failure of its rear suspension - a fracture of the nearside trailing arm, to be precise

I managed to nurse it along to a parking place across the road from Newnham College, and was able to drive it onto the RAC truck for transportation to my parents' place pending final disposal.

There are no words to express my sadness over what seems to be the absolute demise of this most wondrous of vehicles

Shortly before this catastrophe we had driven past Jeffrey Archer's home in Grantchester. Coincidence?

You should be able to get a new trailing arm and bush kit for less than £150 plus the labour to fit it.

Definately worth getting a quote first. Any decent garage should be able to give you a ball park figure over the phone.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    ......and a 1952 Mercedes 190.
    What was the minor problem? That's a crime.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    There are no words to express my sadness over what seems to be the absolute demise of this most wondrous of vehicles

Shortly before this catastrophe we had driven past Jeffrey Archer's home in Grantchester. Coincidence?
    Trying to steal his statues again? That really would **** up your suspension. That and giving Threaded a lift.

Btw, has Mr Hawking tried to run you over yet?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    My beloved Super Monkey Car has undergone a catastrophic failure of its rear suspension - a fracture of the nearside trailing arm, to be precise

I managed to nurse it along to a parking place across the road from Newnham College, and was able to drive it onto the RAC truck for transportation to my parents' place pending final disposal.

What car is it? If the rest is it is in good condition go for a replacement trailing arm.

I have regretted scrapping cars for minor problems in the past such as the original Fiat 500 and a 1952 Mercedes 190.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Commiserations. It's quite a blow to lose a beloved companion and partner in crime.

Have you got a quote? You should at least make such a momentous decision armed with all the facts.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    started a topic Woe, woe, and thrice woe

Woe, woe, and thrice woe

Working...
X