• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A tale of endurance, grit and pig ignorant motorists"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Meh. Live out your own fantasies in your own threads.

PS Still on for Friday?
    Nah
    BBC News - Man, 48, dies after London to Brighton cycle ride
    I'm fine.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Seems to me that Suity wants to go out with the wrong clothes and little food. Coupled with their 'no directions' and travelling far from home there can only be one possible scenario Suity is hoping for.

'Oh Dave we've cycled for hours, I'm tired, hungry, cold and wet and it's getting dark. Were going to get hypothermia and die. Boo hoo hoo. Oh hang on, I know! Look over there it's a deserted barn, well have to camp down there for the night and look for help in the morning. I'll have to take these wet clothes off! And you Dave, it will help us stay alive. Spoons could save both our lives.'
    Meh. Live out your own fantasies in your own threads.

PS Still on for Friday?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    How do you choose where you run out of puff?
    By stopping before you are physically incapable of going any further.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    No, I would have used special waterproof paper and pen set, possibly like scuba divers use.
    Seems to me that Suity wants to go out with the wrong clothes and little food. Coupled with their 'no directions' and travelling far from home there can only be one possible scenario Suity is hoping for.

'Oh Dave we've cycled for hours, I'm tired, hungry, cold and wet and it's getting dark. Were going to get hypothermia and die. Boo hoo hoo. Oh hang on, I know! Look over there it's a deserted barn, well have to camp down there for the night and look for help in the morning. I'll have to take these wet clothes off! And you Dave, it will help us stay alive. Spoons could save both our lives.'

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Not sure if I am reading this right SY but does it not occur to you that just round a blind bend is not the best place to stop? Don't cycle anymore but sometimes have to run on narrow country roads as the footpaths don't always join up. Make darn sure I am always where I can be seen.
    How do you choose where you run out of puff?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Not sure if I am reading this right SY but does it not occur to you that just round a blind bend is not the best place to stop? Don't cycle anymore but sometimes have to run on narrow country roads as the footpaths don't always join up. Make darn sure I am always where I can be seen.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    No, I would have used special waterproof paper and pen set,
    Brilliant idea SY. You could even store them in your waterproof underpants!!

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Both of which would have been soaked, no?
    No, I would have used special waterproof paper and pen set, possibly like scuba divers use.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Or for something a little more subtle.

Halfords to stock video recording cycling sunglasses

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    No mate, was picking myself up from a hedge row. Will carry a little notepad and pen in my pocket in future. Good point though.
    Both of which would have been soaked, no?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    If you go out in the rain without waterproofs you are going to get cold an wet, what did you expect?

There is a reason you see cyclists in lycra shorts and shirts and those day glo jackets. They are actually warmer. If it's bad then get a pair of full length tights or bib tights and wear a water proof jacket.

You will be warmer as the lycra gear actually lets the water drain off rather than soaking into the material, adding weight and sucking the heat out of you. It also stops the chaffing as it doesnt rub against your skin.

Get some overshoes as well to keep your feet warm and a skull cap to go under the helmet.

Wiggles budget brand dhb has all the stuff you need and wont break the bank.

Jackets

Shorts

Tights and Trousers

Headgear

Baselayer and Thermals

Overshoes

On a ride like that when you know it is going to be cold and wet then it's a good idea to take an energy bar with you as well and eat that as you go, not just water. 30 miles is about as far as you can expect to go without taking on additional carbs to keep you going. If you try and do the LtB on just water you will bonk well before the finish.
    We had an energy bar at every stop. (10 miles). I had one bottle with lucozade and one with water. No chances of the bonk this time, although the last time we were ill prepared.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied

We set out at 3pm in the pissing rain

The rain was proper wet rain by now. Trackies soaked, tracky top soaked

I have learned that Doodab aint kidding about chaffing. 30.5 miles covered. Chilled to the marrow, bleeding shins, achy knees. Hips hurt. Feel like crap.

Please remind me again why people cycle?
    If you go out in the rain without waterproofs you are going to get cold an wet, what did you expect?

There is a reason you see cyclists in lycra shorts and shirts and those day glo jackets. They are actually warmer. If it's bad then get a pair of full length tights or bib tights and wear a water proof jacket.

You will be warmer as the lycra gear actually lets the water drain off rather than soaking into the material, adding weight and sucking the heat out of you. It also stops the chaffing as it doesnt rub against your skin.

Get some overshoes as well to keep your feet warm and a skull cap to go under the helmet.

Wiggles budget brand dhb has all the stuff you need and wont break the bank.

Jackets

Shorts

Tights and Trousers

Headgear

Baselayer and Thermals

Overshoes

On a ride like that when you know it is going to be cold and wet then it's a good idea to take an energy bar with you as well and eat that as you go, not just water. 30 miles is about as far as you can expect to go without taking on additional carbs to keep you going. If you try and do the LtB on just water you will bonk well before the finish.
    Last edited by DaveB; 13 June 2011, 08:49.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied

As a side note, I thought driving away from the scene of an accicdent was a crime possibly punishable with a custodial sentence? Just saying like.
    I have no doubt it is. However, the difficult part for your brief would be to adequately prove that you tuliping yourself and jumping over a hedge, damaging your bike in the progress, left the female car driver in any realistic position of culpability for said damage. Or that indeed any form of RTA actually took place that was not solely down to your innate woosiness!!

HTH

Leave a comment:

• dspsyssts
    replied
    I have always found cyclists a friendly bunch! especially the overweight middle aged men dressed in kinky black lycra types (blacks always a good colour for cyclists right?) because even when you drive past them really closely and at speed they are always keen to wave and shout hello!....at least I think thats what they are shouting?

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    People who take an overgrown child's toy onto public highways shouldn't expect proper road users to make allowances for them. If I fly round a corner and some muppet on a bike scratches my car then I'm going to sue.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X