• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tv Assault on the Benefits Culture"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    If you mean a fit bird with no morals who'll f**k anything? Then that's already here. She's married to Ryan Giggs' brother.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    In the 50's they predicted a future where we'd have far more leisure time as robots would do all our work, it would have worked too if those pesky mega corps decided to benefit mankind rather than just hoover up the worlds wealth and keep it for themselves.

They also predicted flying cars and wives like Barbarella.
    If you mean a fit bird with no morals who'll f**k anything? Then that's already here. She's married to Ryan Giggs' brother.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Because machines can do that far cheaper and more efficiently.

Been saying it for years - Where these guys are now, practically everyone will be in 50 years.

It's the biggest looming problem, or opportunity depending on your viewpoint, but nobody seems to believe it let alone discuss it.
    In the 50's they predicted a future where we'd have far more leisure time as robots would do all our work, it would have worked too if those pesky mega corps decided to benefit mankind rather than just hoover up the worlds wealth and keep it for themselves.

They also predicted flying cars and wives like Barbarella.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    As if by magic:
    BBC News - Minister denies fuelling tabloid attacks on 'workshy'

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied

Been saying it for years - Where these guys are now, practically everyone will be in 50 years.

It's the biggest looming problem, or opportunity depending on your viewpoint, but nobody seems to believe it let alone discuss it.
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    You are Karl Marx and I claim my five capitalist pounds.
    He can't be, he didn't mention "Proletariat" or "Petit bourgeois" once.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied

You are Karl Marx and I claim my five capitalist pounds.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Why can't they give them generous benefits but also a bone breaking job like night shift at a local quarry.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    My favourite is:

Its a safety net not a hammock.

Watched a little bit of the cute kids wanting to be rich so they could afford a 'decent life' didn't see any of them talking about how they would get it honestly or through hard work. Strangely all their wallpaper was ripped off the wall, paint is fairly cheap so why did they have to live in squalor?

Fairy Jobmother showed how with a little bit of help the disillusioned unemployed can be helped in the right direction. The scouser needed help but more from mental health than a career adviser. He did find a job in the end though, partially I think because someone believed in him.

Friend of mine was out of work for nearly a year because he couldn't find a job that meant he was better off than on benefits. He is back in work and really happy again but for a while it was a bit depressing for him.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Why can't they give them generous benefits but also a bone breaking job like night shift at a local quarry.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    I watched some of that Poor Kids last night....it was heartbreaking
    WSS^

The thing that struck me most was the fact that people who don't work don't seem to have the time to clean their homes either.

Apparently the poverty line for a parent with 2 kids is £1000 a month after housing costs. I can see why people don’t want to work, a single parent on an average wage of say £25k would still need significant benefits to take them above that.

This country is screwed.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    After 6 months, all benefit should cease and food stamps should be given. End of.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    The only one who seemed to just need direction was the ginger bird

The younger guy had lost his mother when he was training for the police
    The single(?) mother had stopped work to look after her kid (which is fair enough) but was going to be caught by the new rules effecting parents and benefits
    But the older fella! I just wanted to knock his teeth out.

'I'm not doing this, I'm not doing that,I'm a scouser, I get to choose what I do, why don't they put taxes up if there's not enough money'

He was like the fella from Royale Family(which is obviously why he was chosen)

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    Apart from the older guy, I don't think they were. They just hadn't had anyone to point them in the right direction.
    The only one who seemed to just need direction was the ginger bird

The younger guy had lost his mother when he was training for the police
    The single(?) mother had stopped work to look after her kid (which is fair enough) but was going to be caught by the new rules effecting parents and benefits

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I watched the Fairy Job Mother - I noticed that at least 2 of the unemployed had a bit of sob story to stop the viewer dismissing them as workshy whinging scousers.
    Apart from the older guy, I don't think they were. They just hadn't had anyone to point them in the right direction.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

There was The Fairy JobMother last night, Poor Kids and another one I caught.

Do the panel think there has been a step change in the media to now completely villify the unemployed and is it politically biased?
    I watched the Fairy Job Mother - I noticed that at least 2 of the unemployed had a bit of sob story to stop the viewer dismissing them as workshy whinging scousers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X