• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Things that are pronounced differently to how they used to be"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    Pacharan, you have done something I thought was not possible! You make gricerboy, d00hg and Wilmslow sound super interesting.
    Trying to make sure you keep your "biggest CUK loser" rep level as Pachy makes a challenge for it?

Leave a comment:

• landl
    replied
    Imagine my surprise after filling the car up this morning when the chap at the till pronounced the word "gallon" as "litre" when telling me how much fuel I'd bought for £90.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I remember being surprised when I went to uni at how many words were pronounced differently than I thought. The problem was I had never heard anyone use them, I had only ever seen them in books.
    One of the pitfalls of growing up in the Midlands I guess!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I remember being surprised when I went to uni at how many words were pronounced differently than I thought. The problem was I had never heard anyone use them, I had only ever seen them in books.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post

I think vitamin is a word invented quite recently. Short for "vital minerals." So the first pronunciation is correct.
    Relatively recently, but it's been around for over a century.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    "vytamin" instead of "vittamin"
    I think vitamin is a word invented quite recently. Short for "vital minerals." So the first pronunciation is correct.

Edit: Wikipedia disagrees with me slightly. Say it is a combination of "Vital" and "amine", invented in 1912.
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 3 June 2011, 10:39.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Shouldn't it be "Things that people in my local have only recently learned to pronounce properly"
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    Pacharan, you have done something I thought was not possible! You make gricerboy, d00hg and Wilmslow sound super interesting.
    I've told you a million times russell, don't exaggerate!

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I bought my house from someone with the middle name "St John" pronounced "sin gin".

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    "Gordon Brown"/"One eyed, slack jawed, incompetant, indiscrete, gold selling, economy mismanaging, c**t"

. . . at least that's how it's pronounced around here.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Rhodesia

Ceylon

Deputy Prime Minister

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Nestlé is a derived from a Schwäbisch word - it's not in fact French.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    Was up the Hungry Horse & the blokes at the bar were talking about words that are now pronounced differently to how they used to be years ago.

Though the conversation lasted the whole of my 2 pints of Triple Crown allocation, I can only remember 2 words.

They are (with old pronunciation followed by new in parentheses):

Nestles (nessulls/nestlays)
    Lichen(lichinn/liken)

I'm sure there are loads more. Let's start a list.
    "Yoagert" instead of "yoggut" for yoghurt

Even my granddad, born in the 1880s, used to pronounce some of his "a"s as "e"s, such as "Chairing Cross" instead of "Charrying Cross", and "Pell Mell" instead of "pal mal" (and if you asked him the time, he'd say "five and twenty past .." like the blackbirds in the pie )

"BalCONEY" instead of "BALcony"

Going back a couple of hundred years, the changes get even more bizarre, such as "obleege" instead of "oblige", "Rooom" for "Rome".

"forrid" instead of "fore head"

"vytamin" instead of "vittamin"

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Shouldn't it be "Things that people in my local have only recently learned to pronounce properly"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X