• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things that are pronounced differently to how they used to be

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by russell View Post
    Pacharan, you have done something I thought was not possible! You make gricerboy, d00hg and Wilmslow sound super interesting.
    I've told you a million times russell, don't exaggerate!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Shouldn't it be "Things that people in my local have only recently learned to pronounce properly"
      WHS
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        "vytamin" instead of "vittamin"
        I think vitamin is a word invented quite recently. Short for "vital minerals." So the first pronunciation is correct.

Edit: Wikipedia disagrees with me slightly. Say it is a combination of "Vital" and "amine", invented in 1912.
        Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 3 June 2011, 10:39.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post

I think vitamin is a word invented quite recently. Short for "vital minerals." So the first pronunciation is correct.
          Relatively recently, but it's been around for over a century.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I remember being surprised when I went to uni at how many words were pronounced differently than I thought. The problem was I had never heard anyone use them, I had only ever seen them in books.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              I remember being surprised when I went to uni at how many words were pronounced differently than I thought. The problem was I had never heard anyone use them, I had only ever seen them in books.
              One of the pitfalls of growing up in the Midlands I guess!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Imagine my surprise after filling the car up this morning when the chap at the till pronounced the word "gallon" as "litre" when telling me how much fuel I'd bought for £90.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                  Pacharan, you have done something I thought was not possible! You make gricerboy, d00hg and Wilmslow sound super interesting.
                  Trying to make sure you keep your "biggest CUK loser" rep level as Pachy makes a challenge for it?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                  X