• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Here comes the sun

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Here comes the sun"

Collapse

• MrMark
    replied
    Scorchio!

Phew, what a scorcher....

etc.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    A bit off topic, but how easy is it to sell stuff? You just rent a 'concession stand' and you're good to go?

As I was wandering about Ibiza last week, feeling peckish and unwilling to pay tourist prices for 'food' (£4 for a tiny tub of ice cream ffs), I saw someone carrying a tiny polystyrene plate of chips. I hunted for its source, but eventually concluded that they had been obtained from one of the many rip-off places that also do chips at great cost, as there was not a proper chippy in sight or smell. It got me wondering how well a chip shop van might fare there (a place teaming with chip-eating Brits) and how one might go about starting such a venture. No doubt it's been thought of before, not least by experts in the potato frying business, so something must be holding them back.
    Probably the outlets selling food are strictly controlled. Believe it or not, if you even have an open-air terrace with a bar in Spain, it's heavily taxed by the local authority.
    Of course you could go for an already established chippie, but prices look high to me for a business that may only make money 5 or 6 months a year.

Fish and Chip Shop Businesses for sale in Spain

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Forecast for the coming weekend is 25C
    That will be in the SE or London. North of Birmingham can expect the usual 15C "heatwave".

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Yesterday it was 31c but I was too knackered to go and sit in the sun watching the world go by with a glass of wine. Today it hasn't stopped raining and I really fancied doing that this evening, life just ain't fair

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    You can't give in to bullies, why didn't she call the police?
    Who do you think the heavies were?

Bloody trading without a licence.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    my sister in law tried it in Liverpool. She had assisted on a hot dog van as a kid, so she knew the ropes and she saw a great opportunity for a 'get rich quick' scheme. So she got the van, stock and some helpers and set up near Aintree during Grand National week.

Then the heavies came around.

So she moved up near the beach (near the iron men)

she ended up in a dirty layby with a union jack on a stick and a cardboard sign saying hotdogs 100m on the left.

Then she cut her losses and sold up.

Similar thing happened to my brother with his 'bouncy castle' venture

The whole thing is more dangerous than eating a Spanish cucumber

You can't give in to bullies, why didn't she call the police?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Nice here in Durham so far. Hope it will hold, the wife's off to see Take That in Sunderland this evening and I'm sure rain was forecast.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    The standard line in Belfast is: "She was alright when she left us!"
    he hehe.

some statistics -

Mayflower - 180 tons
    Titanic - 52,000 tons
    Valiant (battleship) -36,000 tons
    Victorious (carrier) - 31,000 tons
    Ventura (P&O liner) - 115,000 tons

That to me shows what a massive ship Titanic was, for its era

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Pissed it down all day yesterday, just to add insult to the injury of an unpaid bank holiday.

Bright and sunny here now, although there are some big clouds looming to the south.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I think it has rained everyday here for the last month.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    There was an interesting piece on the radio about Belfast celebrating the construction of the Titanic , 100 years ago in Harland and Woolfe. The Irish were a bit shy about mentioning it too much because it sank.

The standard line in Belfast is: "She was alright when she left us!"

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    A bit off topic, but how easy is it to sell stuff? You just rent a 'concession stand' and you're good to go?

As I was wandering about Ibiza last week, feeling peckish and unwilling to pay tourist prices for 'food' (£4 for a tiny tub of ice cream ffs), I saw someone carrying a tiny polystyrene plate of chips. I hunted for its source, but eventually concluded that they had been obtained from one of the many rip-off places that also do chips at great cost, as there was not a proper chippy in sight or smell. It got me wondering how well a chip shop van might fare there (a place teaming with chip-eating Brits) and how one might go about starting such a venture. No doubt it's been thought of before, not least by experts in the potato frying business, so something must be holding them back.
    my sister in law tried it in Liverpool. She had assisted on a hot dog van as a kid, so she knew the ropes and she saw a great opportunity for a 'get rich quick' scheme. So she got the van, stock and some helpers and set up near Aintree during Grand National week.

So she moved up near the beach (near the iron men)

she ended up in a dirty layby with a union jack on a stick and a cardboard sign saying hotdogs 100m on the left.

Then she cut her losses and sold up.

Similar thing happened to my brother with his 'bouncy castle' venture

The whole thing is more dangerous than eating a Spanish cucumber

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Do you want to know about that for here or Ibiza?
    The market I mentioned is likely flooded/mature in the UK already I expect, but whatever.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

Do you want to know about that for here or Ibiza?

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Fingers crossed. I've got six concession stands on reserve in shopping centres in Hampshire to do sledges/welly boots and snow shovels. Talk about being unpredictable and in the lap of the gods though! If it snows this winter I'm minted.

Last edited by TimberWolf; 31 May 2011, 07:54.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X