• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I've always been suspicious of people with two first names."

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    possible, but how do you explain the rivers then ?
    Here its River Thames
    US its Potomac river
    In France its just The Seine
    Rivers are another kettle of frogs. In German at least, even the genders don't seem to have any rules - you've just got to learn each one.

In contrast genders of countries in French do follow some logic, I can't remember it exactly, but here's a map (green is masculine, purple is feminine).

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Although not relevant to doodab's question, as he mentioned, I was going to add that double-barrelled forenames such as "Mary Lou" used in the US were probably once considered fancy and "Frenchified".

They tend to be more of a Southern US thing, or that's my impression. So maybe they originated in the 19th century from French influence in places like Louisiana.
    Without looking it up, I think you are right about the Southern influence, and the French one too.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Although not relevant to doodab's question, as he mentioned, I was going to add that double-barrelled forenames such as "Mary Lou" used in the US were probably once considered fancy and "Frenchified".

They tend to be more of a Southern US thing, or that's my impression. So maybe they originated in the 19th century from French influence in places like Louisiana.
    possible, but how do you explain the rivers then ?
    Here its River Thames
    US its Potomac river
    In France its just The Seine

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post

I've come across names like that in German speaking places. I know a few called Hans Peter, and nobody seems to pick one or the other; it's always Hans Peter.

What I noticed in France is that they don't seem to shorten names. No Dave instead of David, Pete instead of Peter etc. Like German speaking places, Jean Claude was never shortened either.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Is that really what the OP meant? I assumed they were referring to compound forenames like "Mary Lou" and "Billy Jean" etc.

As it's almost always girls names, maybe the parents just think it sounds cute.
    I've come across names like that in German speaking places. I know a few called Hans Peter, and nobody seems to pick one or the other; it's always Hans Peter.

What I noticed in France is that they don't seem to shorten names. No Dave instead of David, Pete instead of Peter etc. Like German speaking places, Jean Claude was never shortened either.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Gareth Barry
    Cliff Richard
    Paul Daniels
    Les Dennis

I suppose you have to blame the parents, although they can hardly be blamed for choosing a first name as a first name and the second they are lumbered with themselves. It must be quite a dilemma.
    I see what you are on about, but you've answered it yourself.

Cliff Richard is just a stage name (real name Harry Webb?). Some PR type dreamed the idea up so that when people called him "Cliff Richards", the marketing wallahs could correct them and say "No, it's Cliff Richard", thus reinforcing the brand.

What I do find strange is the Yanks' liking for surnames as first names. That is weird, and the parents can do something about it.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Is that really what the OP meant? I assumed they were referring to compound forenames like "Mary Lou" and "Billy Jean" etc.

I meant people who have a forename for a surname, like Gareth Barry, Les Dennis etc. But it got sidetracked. Never mind.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Gareth Barry
    Cliff Richard
    Paul Daniels
    Les Dennis

I suppose you have to blame the parents, although they can hardly be blamed for choosing a first name as a first name and the second they are lumbered with themselves. It must be quite a dilemma.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    I always imagine that double barrelled names come from illegitimacy - child born out of wedlock gets both mother's and father's surname.
    Double-barrelled names arose to maintain the family name when a daughter of an aristocratic family got married, and there were no male siblings to carry the name.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Paul Daniels
    Daniels isn't a first name.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I blame the parents!

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    I think it comes from the patronymic naming system in use until a few hundred years ago (mid 800's in Wales) so if your father's name was Evan your surname would be ap (of) Evan.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Mark Antony is the first one I can think of.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    I always imagine that double barrelled names come from illegitimacy - child born out of wedlock gets both mother's and father's surname.
    I always figured it was posh people trying to quash rumours about their constant inbreeding.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    We didn't do that to our son.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X