• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Have you made peace with god (or the Mods depending on your faith)"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    My physics teacher at skool said the same about the leading physicists of the day
    He was probably right. Some major scientists were driven by religion, it just happens that they were right so never got questioned.

Loiuse Pasteur chose to ignore many experiments that appeared to support the idea of spontaneous creation rather than actually look into and explain them. (Some bacteria can survive prolonged boiling which nobody realised at the time) Milikan simply excluded any experiments that did not support his value of e even when there was no obvious flaw in them.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    You would not think a former civil engineer would be so irrational but I read a while back (can't be bovvered to find it) that engineers are actually over represented among religious nuts, apparently they seek certainty and order in life and are thus inclined to fundamentalism.
    My physics teacher at skool said the same about the leading physicists of the day. Well, except he was more polite and called them Christian believers instead of religious nutters.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    My theory is that being a Yank, he didn't consider time zones, and had to invent a new version once somebody pointed them out.
    Americans are more used to timezones than Brits, considering their country crosses several of them and ours doesn't.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    You would not think a former civil engineer would be so irrational but I read a while back (can't be bovvered to find it) that engineers are actually over represented among religious nuts, apparently they seek certainty and order in life and are thus inclined to fundamentalism.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Probably the time that his bank stopped processing BACS transfers.
    My theory is that being a Yank, he didn't consider time zones, and had to invent a new version once somebody pointed them out.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Where did the 6pm come from?
    Probably the time that his bank stopped processing BACS transfers.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I think it was to cope with recent scientific evidence that the world is not, in fact, flat. It was a surprise to me, I can tell you. Especially living near the alps.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Where did the 6pm come from? Finding a way to make a certain date fit can't be hard but why 6pm and where did the rolling timezone-based thing come from?

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    What is so sad about this BS is that my father really believed it.

"Accept Jesus into your life and you will see your mother again"

Eff that. Getting nagged and criticised to death isn't my idea of decent life, let alone heaven.
    Jim Jeffries has a great take on that.

"Hello Nan, hello Grandad, hello Uncle who used to touch me. How did you get up here? Oh, that's right, you used to work for the Church...."

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    So what's his excuse going to be for all the fundies not getting raptured ?
    No excuse required. Camping doesn't really represent mainstream Christianity. Or, indeed, much of non-mainstream Christianity. Most Christians are aware that Jesus apparently said "No one knows when I'm coming back except the father, and he isn't telling". (Rough paraphrase).

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Well all of us "unbelievers" are still here, but has anyone seen d000hg today?

'fraid so me old mucker. Must have been the wrong kind of rapture.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    What is so sad about this BS is that my father really believed it.

"Accept Jesus into your life and you will see your mother again"

Eff that. Getting nagged and criticised to death isn't my idea of decent life, let alone heaven.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    you should have made peas with God

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied

Oh sorry I got it wrong it should be you should have made peas with God
    I think I got ruptured on Saturday replacing the washing machine in the ex wife's cellar, the drongo delivery people from Comet said "we don't do cellars". Does that count? Maybe it was a typo?

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied

Oh sorry I got it wrong it should be you should have made peas with God

Leave a comment:

Working...
X