• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "General Anaesthetic"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I had a general for dental work when young. They gave me gas. They put a mask on and told me to count down from ten.

"Ten..."

and then I woke up in a chair in a recovery room. There were magazines on a table and I stood up to get one and fell over, face first over the table.

I had a general for an op when a teenager. They put a needle in the back of my hand for a premed and then I was in the ward being woken and asked what I wanted for supper.

I had a general for major dental work last year. Done in a private dental hospital on the NHS. The surgeon and his anaesth anees anei gas-man came in to give me the details and I asked them not to. A little later they gave me a pre-med in the back of my hand and then I was back in the private room being asked if I was ready for lunch.

Apparently I react very well to general anas sleeping draughts.

However, needles in my gob have very little effect. Dentists are amazed at how much stuff they can inject into my mouth and I can still tell them which cavity they are tapping. Hence the knock-out dentistry last year.

I'd always opt for never waking up again over that feeling of having my spine ripped out through the top of my skull which happened when a dentist jammed a needle into a bundle of nerves in the back of my mouth. I never knew such pain was possible.

Seriously, dental work under a general is fine. I just wish I knew why it gives you such a sore arse.

heh hehe

you made I larf

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I had a general for dental work when young. They gave me gas. They put a mask on and told me to count down from ten.

"Ten..."

and then I woke up in a chair in a recovery room. There were magazines on a table and I stood up to get one and fell over, face first over the table.

I had a general for an op when a teenager. They put a needle in the back of my hand for a premed and then I was in the ward being woken and asked what I wanted for supper.

I had a general for major dental work last year. Done in a private dental hospital on the NHS. The surgeon and his anaesth anees anei gas-man came in to give me the details and I asked them not to. A little later they gave me a pre-med in the back of my hand and then I was back in the private room being asked if I was ready for lunch.

Apparently I react very well to general anas sleeping draughts.

However, needles in my gob have very little effect. Dentists are amazed at how much stuff they can inject into my mouth and I can still tell them which cavity they are tapping. Hence the knock-out dentistry last year.

I'd always opt for never waking up again over that feeling of having my spine ripped out through the top of my skull which happened when a dentist jammed a needle into a bundle of nerves in the back of my mouth. I never knew such pain was possible.

Seriously, dental work under a general is fine. I just wish I knew why it gives you such a sore arse.

Leave a comment:

• conned tractor
    replied
    Had a few of them. Great feeling going under. Depending on what they do to you whilst under, be prepared to feel like tulip for a while after.

And pray you don't wake up with a pair of DD's.

Leave a comment:

• Normie
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I've had it twice - both for surgery - and felt nauseous for a few hours after. Last time, I was fine when I woke up - and hungry - but then they gave me a dose of morphine, so I reckon it's that that makes me feel so ill, rather than the GA. ( I went under with a painful cricked neck, and came out without it, which was a nice bonus ).

Drink plenty of water afterwards to flush it out of your system.
    Same with me regarding the morphine. Had a couple of knee ops - first one felt fine until they gave me morphine. Second time round just had codeine (I think) - felt fine.

Had an absolute babe of a student nurse looking after me - she said I really didn't need a bed bath though. On the minus side, they did send me home with a DVT in my leg.

Leave a comment:

• PinkPoshRat
    replied
    Stop scaring him!

You'll only be 'under' for a really short period of time (in terms of what the surgical team are used to.)

There is always an aneathenatist watching you / monitoring the machines which go 'bing'. They watch out for signs that you're not ok, and if you're not then they sort out the problem.

You're given a pre-med, which is normally a valium based tablet or injection. These pre-med don't work as well if you have lots of alcohol in your system, so don't be tempted to get yourself plastered the night before! If you do, it's not really much of a problem as they'll possibly up the dosage.

After pre-med kicks in and they're ready for you in the theatre, you get wheeled through into a small room where the anaethenatist will greet you.

One of the nurses will place a catheter in you hand and then the anaethenatist will start to administer their drug.

You may feel the 'stuff' going from your hand through your veins, and it might feel cold - that's nothing to worry about, it's normal.

Whilst you're knocked out all your muscles are paralyzed but you'll never ever know that!!

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    It doesn't matter whether you feel woozy or not, everything will be overshadowed by the fact that your mouth will feel as though it has been bashed around by Mike Tyson.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    i.e. they want to take a file, hammer and chisel to you, but dont want you to know

<shudder> butchers all of them

Yup, they want you out cold before they get the Black and Decker and the lump hammer out.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    I'm having an implant and they need to do some enhancements to the bone beforehand.
    i.e. they want to take a file, hammer and chisel to you, but dont want you to know

<shudder> butchers all of them

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    I'm having an implant and they need to do some enhancements to the bone beforehand.
    I had to re-read that again after removing my double entendre Mk II filth filters...

Leave a comment:

• pacharan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    If the work you are having done is serious enough for a GA you are going to be more worried about your mouth feeling like it's been kicked repeatedly by the england rugby squad in steel toed boots. That and dribbling blood for the next 24 hours.

Coming out of the GA should be ok for most folks, some get a bad reaction to it and feel ill for a day or so.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    I had a GA about 15 years to correct a rugby injury on my nose.

I went into the Anaethesist (sp?) as usual in hospital who administered the injection and counted back from 10 to 1. That was the nice part, as after that I had a reaction to the stuff they used and my throat closed up and I stopped breathing for a 30 seconds or so. It's known as a Laryngeal Spasm and they had to inject my throat with some kind of relaxant to allow me to breathe again. It was a pretty hairy moment according to the Quack but I was well out of it so didn't know anything.

I would be very wary of having any kind of GA in an environment where they are not equipped for something like this happening i.e. Dentists...
    I think that GAs no longer happen at the Dentist, but in hospitals. There were some nasty incidents.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    I had a GA about 15 years to correct a rugby injury on my nose.

I went into the Anaethesist (sp?) as usual in hospital who administered the injection and counted back from 10 to 1. That was the nice part, as after that I had a reaction to the stuff they used and my throat closed up and I stopped breathing for a 30 seconds or so. It's known as a Laryngeal Spasm and they had to inject my throat with some kind of relaxant to allow me to breathe again. It was a pretty hairy moment according to the Quack but I was well out of it so didn't know anything.

I would be very wary of having any kind of GA in an environment where they are not equipped for something like this happening i.e. Dentists...

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    Spooky. That's my ex-wife's name.

never marry a bird called spooky - confuscious

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Jacqui? Is that you?
    Spooky. That's my ex-wife's name.