• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Permies

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Permies"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    aye. I havn't worn a watch for ten years, and my mobile phone lies unused in a drawer in the spare room

I haven't worn a watch since I was about 7 or 8 and I received a digital one with a stopwatch for my birthday, which I knackered whilst falling off my bike about 2 hours later. So that's 20 or 30 years without even owning one (although actually I do have the child's wind up timex one I was given as a christening present).

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    Theres one disabled chap at current gig who really gets a lot of benefits from his iPad

For most though, they're overpriced toys and rather difficult to justify their your wife/gf on a permie wage
    LookTel - Mobile Object Recognition and Remote Assistance Solutions for Visually Impaired Users
    LookTel is a planned suite of assistive solutions for people with visual impairments or blindness.
    Signed-up CUKers have have so far led blind people to the edge of quarries, a cliff edge, an active volcano and a fish shop. And they only wanted directions to the local shops too.

Joking aside, seems like a neat app.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I have found that the more connected everything gets the more I need to make an effort to disconnect. Peace and quiet is now a luxury item.
    aye. I havn't worn a watch for ten years, and my mobile phone lies unused in a drawer in the spare room

in fact, i tried to set up a blog a few weeks ago, but the registration required a moblie number so they could text me. When I put the landline number in, it blew me out, so I gave up.
    connectedness fascists

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Like a smartphone then. Or a laptop.
    Or a TV, I bought an Ipad because it was better than a laptop for surfing the web/emails etc around the house. I haven't checked the market recently but at that time it was the best tablet.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I have found that the more connected everything gets the more I need to make an effort to disconnect. Peace and quiet is now a luxury item.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I wouldn't think about it either. Devices for the masses.
    Like a smartphone then. Or a laptop.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by russell View Post
    ... I mean being a contractor an Ipad is a days pay and I wouldn't even think about it.
    I wouldn't think about it either. Devices for the masses.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Actually we use our daily. I wake up, read the newspaper on it in bed, post some tulipe on CUK, check my shares and weather. The missus plays games on it before bed while we let the kids watch tv on it with an app or videos. When we travel we put it in the back of the car with some speakers and we took it on holiday so they could watch tv while we used the broadband connection to get our mail.
    I've stopped my children from playing on it. For the people I know with cash and a single ipad there seems to be a habit of them rapidly multiplying into individual devices. 2 adults and 2 children = 4 ipads.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    It is a toy but I've found two uses for it recently. One is geeky but its a brillant tool when you want to grab or check documentation while at a client site.
    Actually we use our daily. I wake up, read the newspaper on it in bed, post some tulipe on CUK, check my shares and weather. The missus plays games on it before bed while we let the kids watch tv on it with an app or videos. When we travel we put it in the back of the car with some speakers and we took it on holiday so they could watch tv while we used the broadband connection to get our mail.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I wouldn't even think about it.
    Neither would I. A tattoo that says "I am a ****" is
    • cheaper
    • doesn't need recharging frequently
    • doesn't require you to bollocks up an otherwise perfectly good computer by installing iTunes

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    A days pay ? did you take the afternoon off or something

SasGuru

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    What we not allowed to gloat over permies anymore not even in a contractor forum, what is the world coming to?
    Watch what you say as these things often come back to haunt you. Imagine in 10 years those same permies become contractors and laugh at your poor permie wages.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I have only one word to say about the ipad - Angry Birds

ok, thats two words. all I can hear all evening is 'boing boing' and the cackle of a flock of hysterical penguins or puffins or something , taking off

it puts me off my beer

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    A day! Bah!

I bought my Ipad after shifting 50 sledges one cold afternoon in December. Bloody contractors haven;t got a clue.
    £2000 in a day isn't great if you sold nothing the month before or after and then went out of business.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    Theres one disabled chap at current gig who really gets a lot of benefits from his iPad

For most though, they're overpriced toys and rather difficult to justify their your wife/gf on a permie wage
    It is a toy but I've found two uses for it recently. One is geeky but its a brillant tool when you want to grab or check documentation while at a client site.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X