• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Phone recommendations"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    Exactly my thought regarding my N97. I really liked my N95 8gb and the specs for the 97 were pretty good. Just Nokia completely screwed it up. As I said earlier, the last Nokia I will ever own.
    I concur. I smashed mine into hundreds of tiny pieces in frustration. I am now back to using the N95 which is a far better device.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Looking for a new phone soon as well. Had an iPhone 3 and loved it. One of the big things for me was that once Jailbroken you could do almost anything you wanted with it. It became a handheld computer not just a phone with some fancy gadgets. I'm talking about things like remote terminal access to and from my Mac, seamless file sharing over wireless, running network tools and other techy bits and pieces.

Do the HTC and Samsung offerings have the same capability?
    think you can vpn into your pc network on the Samsung if that's your thing....

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    DO NOT get an N900!

You can have mine for a fiver. It's utter

Ok calmed down now. It could have been a tulip hot phone and the theory of it could make it a real winner. Problem is it isn't. There are not enough of them about so apps support is utter rubbish and most seem to be highly techie rather than fun. Keyboard is the dogs danglies, dunno how I am going to cope without it but the rest of the phone is a waste of time. Regret getting mine.
    Exactly my thought regarding my N97. I really liked my N95 8gb and the specs for the 97 were pretty good. Just Nokia completely screwed it up. As I said earlier, the last Nokia I will ever own.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    I'm in the market for a new phone too. I'm going for either the Nokia N900 or waiting for the Motorola Atrix.
    DO NOT get an N900!

You can have mine for a fiver. It's utter

Ok calmed down now. It could have been a tulip hot phone and the theory of it could make it a real winner. Problem is it isn't. There are not enough of them about so apps support is utter rubbish and most seem to be highly techie rather than fun. Keyboard is the dogs danglies, dunno how I am going to cope without it but the rest of the phone is a waste of time. Regret getting mine.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Android market lists pages of VNC type apps, I guess 'rooting' Android devices would open up a whole world of extra functionality but so far the stock phone has been suffice.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Looking for a new phone soon as well. Had an iPhone 3 and loved it. One of the big things for me was that once Jailbroken you could do almost anything you wanted with it. It became a handheld computer not just a phone with some fancy gadgets. I'm talking about things like remote terminal access to and from my Mac, seamless file sharing over wireless, running network tools and other techy bits and pieces.

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    "iphone ******!!!"

is the phrase i like to use

its a very good phone though just far too common

I'm on a Desire HD, and in my opinion its the closest to an "all in one" device that is available at the moment

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Was it you that said this before? I'm holding the HTC desire which is made from aluminium and glass with a ruberised back, where's the plastic?

Everyone in my office has an iPhone 4, they all have screen protectors and a case to prevent damage. I've had my HTC for 5 months as is comes and there's not a mark on it.

As for W7 I've heard its good, I have Android which is excellent.
    That's one of the things I hate about the iphone. I think it looks quite nice but then you have to keep it in some crappy case to stop it getting damaged - so for the duration that you own it, it looks crap because of the cheapo case that it has to be kept in.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post

HTC strike me as a tad plastic, Windows 7??? Naaaa nuff said.
    Was it you that said this before? I'm holding the HTC desire which is made from aluminium and glass with a ruberised back, where's the plastic?

Everyone in my office has an iPhone 4, they all have screen protectors and a case to prevent damage. I've had my HTC for 5 months as is comes and there's not a mark on it.

As for W7 I've heard its good, I have Android which is excellent.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by teclo View Post
    I had a Nokia N70 in 2005 running Symbian Series 60, last year I played with another Nokia symbian phone and jesus, it hadn't moved on in 5 years. I wouldn't touch Nokia again either with S60 or Windows Mobile. I had a shot of a Windows Mobile 7 phone in Seattle last year a couple of months before the worldwide launch, I wasn't impressed.

My current one is a Samsung Galaxy S, but it's an American one, so it has the four touch buttons. People with Galaxy S' see it and wonder what it is

Looking forward to getting the Galaxy S II at some point, that's going to be a tulip hot phone when it comes out.
    yeah found it to be better than the iPhone, at least the phone works!!

Leave a comment:

• teclo
    replied
    I had a Nokia N70 in 2005 running Symbian Series 60, last year I played with another Nokia symbian phone and jesus, it hadn't moved on in 5 years. I wouldn't touch Nokia again either with S60 or Windows Mobile. I had a shot of a Windows Mobile 7 phone in Seattle last year a couple of months before the worldwide launch, I wasn't impressed.

My current one is a Samsung Galaxy S, but it's an American one, so it has the four touch buttons. People with Galaxy S' see it and wonder what it is

Looking forward to getting the Galaxy S II at some point, that's going to be a tulip hot phone when it comes out.

Leave a comment:

• oversteer
    replied
    ^^ The 3G is basically "end of life". I went from a 3G to a 4 and the speed difference was noticeable. Stuff opens straightaway rather than taking many seconds.

I'd get the iPhone. To be honest, the iPhone is worth it for the apps alone, and the fact everything Just Works. If you jailbreak it (easy) you can do even more.

You can probably get some money for your 3G on eBay.

There will be a "4GS" or whatever out this year though (June-Sept).

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    My iphone 3G contract has just expired and am now on the lookout for a replacement.
    Why? Does the old one not work any more?

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    I like the Galaxy S that I have had about for 8 months now. The next version is probably even better, take a serious look at it.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I am holding out for the Motorla Atrix.

Dual Core CPU, 4" Screen, Andriod 2.2, 1930mh battery (one of the biggest around) and fingerprint scanner just cause lol!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X