• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "James Bulger’s mother: Unmask my son's killers"

Collapse

• dspsyssts
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    What is the point of jail in this society though?

Is it just:
    1. Punishment, or
    2. Punishment and rehabilitation.

If it's 2 then saying two ten year olds cannot be rehabilitated means that we should give up on adults who go to prison regardless of their crime.

It also doesn't explain why some of the money in the criminal justice system is spent on things like keeping kids out of prison in the first place, education for prisoners and the probation service.

Other EU countries have children doing terrible things as well however I know in Scandinavian countries their criminal justice system particularly for children is based on rehabilitation.
    I went to prison once, had a nice time playing in the prison cricket team, there was quite an active league in the area and we would play away on Sundays and had some lovely teas, the other sides always made us feel welcome. Very good sports facilities there too.

On the subject of JB's Mother, my feelings do go out to her and any other parents who has lost a child to a murderer but possibly for their own health they should try to find understanding and forgiveness in thier heart.

The two killers had a horrible upbringing.

Funny how you need a licence to drive a car but anyone can bring up the next generation.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Pretty sure the press made that association up.

On the main point, IMHO they should still be in jail given the nature of the crime and thereby naming them becomes a moot point, although the judge did allow them to be named at the time.
    What is the point of jail in this society though?

Is it just:
    1. Punishment, or
    2. Punishment and rehabilitation.

If it's 2 then saying two ten year olds cannot be rehabilitated means that we should give up on adults who go to prison regardless of their crime.

It also doesn't explain why some of the money in the criminal justice system is spent on things like keeping kids out of prison in the first place, education for prisoners and the probation service.

Other EU countries have children doing terrible things as well however I know in Scandinavian countries their criminal justice system particularly for children is based on rehabilitation.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Apparently one or both of them often watched a horror film called Chucky, about a malevolent animated doll or something, and the crime was largely playing out one of this character's nasty tricks.
    Pretty sure the press made that association up.

On the main point, IMHO they should still be in jail given the nature of the crime and thereby naming them becomes a moot point, although the judge did allow them to be named at the time.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    In a healthy society no one would hurt a toddler, but it is NOT fine to leave them alone. A two year old is quite capable of hurting himself. No matter how hard it is, it's your responsibility to supervise the child.
    Didn't realise it was in a public place, that's a bit different. I was thinking about the namby-pamby "can't leave poor sweetums for 2s to go to the loo" attitude.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Seen the 'I have kids' line many times on this subject

'I have kids' 'throw away the key'
    Eh? Who said that? What you going on about?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Seen the 'I have kids' line many times on this subject.

Are people without children not eligible to make decision on the subject? If my neighbour gets his car broken into and I do not drive but my other neighbour does do I have less say in the matter of the outcome when the perp gets caught?

Actually, in this thread the opposite seems to be true. Those with kids possibly seeing 10 year olds for what they are - kids.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied

Are people without children not eligible to make decision on the subject? If my neighbour gets his car broken into and I do not drive but my other neighbour does do I have less say in the matter of the outcome when the perp gets caught?

Its ridiculous isnt it ?

almost as bad as saying people without a degree dont know what they are talking about

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I said it before churchy

but really, should we tread on eggshells all the time ??

anyways, give the boy a big hugg , and from us here as well
    No, that's what I was saying. A thread with this title is probably going to contain unsavoury facts, and I should have known to avoid it.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    My lad was 2 at the time. It was pretty tough reading even the sanitised accounts in the papers.
    my kids were a similar age, and we lived close to where it happened. In fact my kids nearly suffered a similar fate
    it was only because they could run faster than me, and knew where to hide that they managed to survive <little gits >

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    My lad was 2 at the time. It was pretty tough reading even the sanitised accounts in the papers.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I did think that when I got upset at what Churchy had posted - a thread like this isn't going to contain kittens and roses is it, so I shouldn't be surprised!

Am going to squeeze the boychild when I get home, till his head pops off.
    I said it before churchy

but really, should we tread on eggshells all the time ??

anyways, give the boy a big hugg , and from us here as well

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    maybe you should steer clear of horrible threads like this as well, mp. it upsetting you
    I did think that when I got upset at what Churchy had posted - a thread like this isn't going to contain kittens and roses is it, so I shouldn't be surprised!

Am going to squeeze the boychild when I get home, till his head pops off.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I read a small part of it when trying to find out (facts) about how the boy had been abducted. I couldn't read past the first couple of lines, but I know that's mainly because my little boy is so close in age. My mind literally scrambles when I try to imagine what he and his family went through.
    maybe you should steer clear of horrible threads like this as well, mp. it upsetting you

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
    In that case, do yourself a favour and avoid the Wikipedia page about the murder. It's awful.
    I read a small part of it when trying to find out (facts) about how the boy had been abducted. I couldn't read past the first couple of lines, but I know that's mainly because my little boy is so close in age. My mind literally scrambles when I try to imagine what he and his family went through.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X