• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "2 out of 3 new jobs given to migrants"

Collapse

• amcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    SO, once the "seasonally adjusted" figures are worked out, because employment has gone down, the statement in the Daily Express won't stand up.

Also, the Daily Express implies people coming in and nicking our jobs, without making it clear they mean "people not born in the UK". That includes all manner of British Citizens, 2nd generation Brits, white colonials coming here (e.g. the bloody Ozzies, Kiwis and Saffas) and so on.

What I wanna know is: do Intra-Company Transfers get counted?
    And midge lovers, don't forge the Scottish immigrants

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    And? Besides it's pretty standard for all cleaners and jobs of that ilk to be foreign workers in places like London.

the western world

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    And? Besides it's pretty standard for all cleaners and jobs of that ilk to be foreign workers in places like London.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Is that recording every job position taken or is there adjustment for duration of job? For instance a cleaner or bar worker position might turn around 4 times a year and 75% of the times it is a migrant worker. But a software developer might only change jobs every 2 years and it's a migrant worker 25% of the time. The results are distorted. Is this already taken account of?
    OR:

For instance a cleaner or bar worker position might turn around 4 times a year and 75% of the times it is a British worker. But a software developer might only change jobs every 2 years and it's a British worker 25% of the time.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Is that recording every job position taken or is there adjustment for duration of job? For instance a cleaner or bar worker position might turn around 4 times a year and 75% of the times it is a migrant worker. But a software developer might only change jobs every 2 years and it's a migrant worker 25% of the time. The results are distorted. Is this already taken account of?

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    That includes all manner of British Citizens, 2nd generation Brits, white colonials coming here (e.g. the bloody Ozzies, Kiwis and Saffas) and so on.
    Point of order.

The last government made it much harder for the Ozzies, Kiwis and Saffas to go over to Britain. Those that have a British grandparent can still get ancestry visas, but the days of the others going over and spending a couple of years working in bars or driving vans to fund an extended trip to Europe are over.

Just as well, they are exactly the sort of people that the British want to keep out, aren't they?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I don't follow your point about figures not being seasonally adjusted which, as I understand it, is a means of removing seasonal fluctuations so a long term trend can be seen. Is that relevant to comparisons of two figures which presumably follow the same fluctuations? Or perhaps you understand the statistics better than I do. Please explain.

The margin of error of 205,000 is relevant to the total of 29m or 0.5% as the next line says. This will represent cumulative errors in calculating that total. That does not necessarily mean that random fluctuations are of that order and that it is statistically correct to dismiss the change. Rather depends how the figures are done and I can't see anything about that. Maybe someone who has done stats more recently than 1965 can comment.

PS Would they really release figures that were statistically a pile of W*NK?
    Last edited by xoggoth; 20 January 2011, 21:32.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Posting proper researched material by apparently unbaised sources. Well done RC, you will soon be almost as dull as me.
    <speechless smiley>

If someone wants to use that data source for something interesting, it is possible to extrapolate how much is being paid by the public sector into the finance industry, and how much per head and how much is being paid in bonuses, per head, to people in the finance industry by the taxpayer. I didn't because of my hypertension.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Posting proper researched material by apparently unbaised sources. Well done RC, you will soon be almost as dull as me.

Fair enough to examine whether those facts actually hold up obviously, not so to simply dismiss because they are reported by the Express/Mail or what/whoever the commenter does not approve of. Principle number 5c ii) in the xoggoth simple model of human kind: You can present as much truths as you like, with some they will never get through the filter of preconception.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    God. I hope you get a contract soon.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    It's SY02
    Is she that desperate for the next baby?

Gosh!

I'm surprised you need the heating on at all.

Still, as they say, "Keep your pecker up".

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Interesting. Seriously.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

BREAKING NEWS: The Daily Express is all
    Breaking news? Do us a favour!

As Prince Philip once said, about 80 years ago "The Express really is a bloody awful paper!"

(The only reference Google finds, searching on ' "prince phillip" "bloody awful paper" ' is here DOH! )

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    What's that dripping sound? Can you hear that SY01? Sounds like it might be upstairs...

It's SY02

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Interesting. Seriously.
    What's that dripping sound? Can you hear that SY01? Sounds like it might be upstairs...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X