• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 out of 3 new jobs given to migrants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God. I hope you get a contract soon.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Posting proper researched material by apparently unbaised sources. Well done RC, you will soon be almost as dull as me.

Fair enough to examine whether those facts actually hold up obviously, not so to simply dismiss because they are reported by the Express/Mail or what/whoever the commenter does not approve of. Principle number 5c ii) in the xoggoth simple model of human kind: You can present as much truths as you like, with some they will never get through the filter of preconception.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Posting proper researched material by apparently unbaised sources. Well done RC, you will soon be almost as dull as me.
        <speechless smiley>

If someone wants to use that data source for something interesting, it is possible to extrapolate how much is being paid by the public sector into the finance industry, and how much per head and how much is being paid in bonuses, per head, to people in the finance industry by the taxpayer. I didn't because of my hypertension.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I don't follow your point about figures not being seasonally adjusted which, as I understand it, is a means of removing seasonal fluctuations so a long term trend can be seen. Is that relevant to comparisons of two figures which presumably follow the same fluctuations? Or perhaps you understand the statistics better than I do. Please explain.

The margin of error of 205,000 is relevant to the total of 29m or 0.5% as the next line says. This will represent cumulative errors in calculating that total. That does not necessarily mean that random fluctuations are of that order and that it is statistically correct to dismiss the change. Rather depends how the figures are done and I can't see anything about that. Maybe someone who has done stats more recently than 1965 can comment.

PS Would they really release figures that were statistically a pile of W*NK?
          Last edited by xoggoth; 20 January 2011, 21:32.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            That includes all manner of British Citizens, 2nd generation Brits, white colonials coming here (e.g. the bloody Ozzies, Kiwis and Saffas) and so on.
            Point of order.

The last government made it much harder for the Ozzies, Kiwis and Saffas to go over to Britain. Those that have a British grandparent can still get ancestry visas, but the days of the others going over and spending a couple of years working in bars or driving vans to fund an extended trip to Europe are over.

Just as well, they are exactly the sort of people that the British want to keep out, aren't they?

Comment

Is that recording every job position taken or is there adjustment for duration of job? For instance a cleaner or bar worker position might turn around 4 times a year and 75% of the times it is a migrant worker. But a software developer might only change jobs every 2 years and it's a migrant worker 25% of the time. The results are distorted. Is this already taken account of?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Is that recording every job position taken or is there adjustment for duration of job? For instance a cleaner or bar worker position might turn around 4 times a year and 75% of the times it is a migrant worker. But a software developer might only change jobs every 2 years and it's a migrant worker 25% of the time. The results are distorted. Is this already taken account of?
                OR:

For instance a cleaner or bar worker position might turn around 4 times a year and 75% of the times it is a British worker. But a software developer might only change jobs every 2 years and it's a British worker 25% of the time.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

And? Besides it's pretty standard for all cleaners and jobs of that ilk to be foreign workers in places like London.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    And? Besides it's pretty standard for all cleaners and jobs of that ilk to be foreign workers in places like London.

the western world
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                      SO, once the "seasonally adjusted" figures are worked out, because employment has gone down, the statement in the Daily Express won't stand up.

Also, the Daily Express implies people coming in and nicking our jobs, without making it clear they mean "people not born in the UK". That includes all manner of British Citizens, 2nd generation Brits, white colonials coming here (e.g. the bloody Ozzies, Kiwis and Saffas) and so on.

What I wanna know is: do Intra-Company Transfers get counted?
                      And midge lovers, don't forge the Scottish immigrants
                      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Working...
                      X