• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do you limit your drinking?"

Collapse

• Cliphead
    replied
    Over the years I've watched two friends succumb to alcoholism, one now dead.

I can't say I've seen any sort of pattern that could be considered anything more than anecdotal but there were similarities.

Appearing to be pissed after one or two drinks (none the night before).
    No 'off switch', kept drinking till they dropped or didn't have any left.
    Drinking first thing after waking and through the day if possible.
    Latterly everything taking second best to procuring booze - job, family, personal hygeine.

Perhaps the saddest thing I've ever seen in my life and powerless to help no matter what support and encouragement.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Getting drunk in the day time is the danger sign.
    I don't think that's true. If you find yourself being unable to stop, that's a danger sign.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Was Churchill not drinking 2 bottles of brandy a day during the war?
    What's your point? If I was facing Hitler, I think I would too!

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    What Cojak said. I used to drink a lot, socially. Bad, bad bad hangovers. Now I don't go out much (ahem) I rarely, if ever drink. I'd rather have a glass of milk at home than a glass of wine.
    WSS, but hot chocolate

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    What Cojak said. I used to drink a lot, socially. Bad, bad bad hangovers. Now I don't go out much (ahem) I rarely, if ever drink. I'd rather have a glass of milk at home than a glass of wine.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I used to keep drinking until I'm drunk but as the hangovers got more vicious, I stopped. I'm sure I'll get caught out (I do occasionally with country wines and I've a batch of apple wine on the go) but generally the memories of wiped out weekends stops me from getting too ratted.
    If you've still got memories of those weekends, it wasn't a proper bender. So I'm told...

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    And Thatcher used to drink a half bottle of bells every night before her famous 4 hours of sleep.
    I was under the impression that Thatcher was one of those famous morning 'piss drinkers' which supposedly allows
    you to sleep less.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I certainly can feel the tug to keep drinking but that's simply the buzz starting to kick in. More that I have 2 instead of 1 as intended, than 1 beer ending up as a 2-day binge

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I certainly can't have one drink and not want another; I always want another. I can mostly stop myself, but every now and again I give in and always end up pissed off with myself for the subsequent wasted day.

It's a bit worrying. Makes you wonder how far away proper alcoholism really is.
    I've always associated that kind of behaviour with youth and a healthy(ish) liver.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I have no problems controlling how much I drink.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    And Thatcher used to drink a half bottle of bells every night before her famous 4 hours of sleep.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Baby Britain feels the best floating over a sea of vodka
    Separated from the rest
    Fights problems with bigger problems
    Sees the ocean fall and rise
    Counts the waves that somehow didn't hit her
    Water pouring from her eyes
    Alcoholic and very bitter
    Was Churchill not drinking 2 bottles of brandy a day during the war?

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Some people drink. Some people don't.

Some people drink more than 28 "units" a week, some don't.

Some people get happy while drinking, some people don't.

Some people drink alone, some people don't.

Some people have hangovers, some people don't.

Some people drink in the morning, some in the afternoon, some only in the evening, some all day.

So what am I trying to say?

I've no bloody idea, I'm half cut on Tio Pepe...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Getting drunk in the day time is the danger sign.
    Not if you are under approx. 25 and are doing an all day bender with mates.

I regularly see students in summer after their exam period doing this. Makes me feel bloody old as I use to do it.

However I remember you use to get pass a stage where you weren't that drunk because you were actually pacing yourself to last all day without falling asleep.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I know a social worker who got down graded for writing a paper saying that heroin is used as a recreational drug by many in the middle classes without risk of addiction.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X