• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are you optimistic for 2011?"

Collapse

• JimBeam
    replied
    better for everybody!!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Incredible what "printing" 100's of billions of pounds can do!

We should do it more often.

This is true, but what are the real downsides - some pissed off savers, not many of them since only suckers were saving money in the first place, lots of pensioners but they won't have much time left to complain anyway.

HTH

Gordon Brown

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    2011 will be the same as 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006....

Easy contracting and a new plan B

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Hoping current work will continue and grow... I'm basically tech lead for a startup with one long-term project, if they can net one or two more of the ones being pitched then happy days.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Quiety optimistic for 2011.

As always, client is saying budgets are tight but they didn't push for a rate reduction at renewal.

This is my view on Supply chains rather than IT but probably works for both.

Some of the projects they've approved are IMO 'nice to have' although there are divestments on the cards for locations that are still not hitting the correct costs. There is definitely money in the pot for the right location.

Seems to me that businesses are ready to spend on areas that have proven growth or are strategic but will still be looking to cut the areas not delivering.

DE is getting good investment, France and UK also to a lesser degree. Russia is getting huge, no holds barred, spend right now. It's seen as a massive market that is now more accessible than ever. I reckon Austria (will now be covered by DE), Nordics (likewise) and Greece (fnucked) will be taking a hit and most likely now Ireland. For some reason (that I don't understand) Spain is still being spared the knife.

Still, supply chain spend or cut both work out ok for PL inc.

Indecision is the lifeblood of contractors.

Leave a comment:

• MayContainNuts
    replied
    Brilliant 2010. Looking like a fantastic 2011 as my contract looks to run and run.

Been so good, even gave £500 to the PDSA at their Xmas fundraiser!

(is it tax deductible?)

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    The City (London) is booming, it's almost bursting at the seams when you see the pubs and restaurants packed out and the shops teeming with City workers spending like there's no tomorrow.

It's quite amazing to see how quickly the City recovered after a short lapse. It's become even more grotesque and gluttonous than before.
    Some parts of the city have battened down the hatches and revised their business processes and investment attitudes, what happened in 2008 weeded out the wheat from the chaff and many companies saw it as an excuse to get rid of excess staff and trim things down.

Some may have been a tad excessive in their trimming which is why there's a demand for interim people.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    The City (London) is booming, it's almost bursting at the seams when you see the pubs and restaurants packed out and the shops teeming with City workers spending like there's no tomorrow.

It's quite amazing to see how quickly the City recovered after a short lapse. It's become even more grotesque and gluttonous than before.
    They're all openly talking about their bonuses here and that's just the plebs in the open plan area - I can imagine the big boys and traders will be getting pretty healthy ones as well..

It's only a matter of time before the students and great unwashed turn their attentions to the financial sector. At least Canary Wharf has a moat around it pretty much and they can control who get's in and out, the city on the other hand might see a cross between May day riots and recent student uprisings before long

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Incredible what "printing" 100's of billions of pounds can do!

We should do it more often.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    I'm positive for both contracting and plan C. Unless something goes norks up I'm gigged up until August and will end with a healthy warchest and a nice chunk in the trading account.

If this project keeps on the way it has been there's no way it will be done by end of July, what happens then I don't know For my niche (App packaging and deployment) I can see more Windows 7 rollouts for the next few years and coming out of a 12 monther in a top tier IB I'm hopeful and confident that I'll be able to hop onto another one or at least last a month or 3 until a good one comes along.

My plan over the next couple of years is to build my trading account up so that 5%/month = a comfortable amount to live on + a decent chunk to reinvest and compound up. Going well so far and by end of 2011 I hope to be almost half way there

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    The gap is ridiculous.

When I was permie I would have jumped at the opportunity to earn 35k. Now I wouldn't be happy with 50k. It just completely prices me out of the market in the North West.
    If you're doing well as a contractor in the North West I can't imagine you'll get a better lifestyle anywhere as a permie.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    One just said his client's prepared to pay 'enough to persuade a succesful contractor'.

Now to let them know how much 'enough' is.
    The gap is ridiculous.

When I was permie I would have jumped at the opportunity to earn 35k. Now I wouldn't be happy with 50k. It just completely prices me out of the market in the North West.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I keep getting pestered for those too, seems that agents think that downturns are synonymous with easy to convert contractors
    One just said his client's prepared to pay 'enough to persuade a succesful contractor'.

Now to let them know how much 'enough' is.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    So many permie jobs posted.

Sick of them. I can't see the point in going for a permie job paying anything less than 50k and in the North West those are difficult if not impossible to comeby.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X