• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I had my ears tested today"

Collapse

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Sorry, I'm not one of the CUK in-crowd, so I'm not always sure.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I have it as well - I can't hear people speak to me if there's background noise. I had my ears tested out OK but my doctor told me it was age related.
    I've no doubt it is age-related, but I've had issues with hearing since I was 21.

When I told the consultant about problems in noisy pubs, she said most people have problems and just pretend to understand each other.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    sheesh some people the cheek
    Sorry, I'm not one of the CUK in-crowd, so I'm not always sure.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Check your blood pressure - can sometimes cause tinnitus.
    Doctor did that, said it was OK.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    top tip - don't have the free hearing test at spec savers.

They will say you are going progressively deaf and need their £495/ear hearing aids. If they do, just book appointment with your GP and get a referral.
    Do they tell you this in a really really quiet voice?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    I don't think it's tinnitus. I have this too but I don't have any ringing or noise issue with my hearing.

It's called "Cocktail Party deafness"

see
    Background Noise Problem, Cocktail Party Syndrome, Hearing Loss

also alcohol inhibits hearing frequencies below 1KHz
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/content...2-6815-7-4.pdf

In my case, listening to VERY loud music in my late teens probably damaged my hearing

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I've always found it hard to follow conversations in crowded bars, nowt wrong with my hearing either. Some brain oddity maybe as I can't multi task either, I have to fixate on one thing at a time.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I had a phase of needing it doing every year, but haven't for about 5 years now. Drops make bugger all difference.

It's quite pleasant actually. As long as they use warm water.
    Can be pleasant but sometimes can make you dizzy and nauseous.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Yep, it's not that bad, though get your ears checked for blockage beforehand and then use some drops such as otex, which may negate the need get them syringed.
    I had a phase of needing it doing every year, but haven't for about 5 years now. Drops make bugger all difference.

It's quite pleasant actually. As long as they use warm water.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    top tip - don't have the free hearing test at spec savers.

They will say you are going progressively deaf and need their £495/ear hearing aids. If they do, just book appointment with your GP and get a referral.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Anyone ever had their ears syringed?
    Yep, it's not that bad, though get your ears checked for blockage beforehand and then use some drops such as otex, which may negate the need get them syringed.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I've always struggled in noisy pubs, or when people mumble, or when people have thick accents, even with people I know well. When I started relearning French I was hopeless at the listening side, whereas other people in the class seemed to do okay. It's taken me a lot of practice (listening to the French news on TV) to get the hang of being able to "hear" French.

My Mum said the same about accents, so I think it's genetic to some degree. I don't think it's actually about hearing, but about how our brains interpret language. It stands to reason that some of us aren't as good at it as the norm.

I was the same at 18 as I am at 39, so it's not age related.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Anyone ever had their ears syringed?

Leave a comment:

• ee61re
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    ... and some people in offices at work sound like barely coherent mumbling?
    I get that all the time, then I realised that a lot of the people in the office actually are barely coherent mumbling buffoons.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    You eyes are almost knackered by the age of 40 too. Nature doesn't much care either way if you live or die after that age it seems.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X