• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I had my ears tested today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always struggled in noisy pubs, or when people mumble, or when people have thick accents, even with people I know well. When I started relearning French I was hopeless at the listening side, whereas other people in the class seemed to do okay. It's taken me a lot of practice (listening to the French news on TV) to get the hang of being able to "hear" French.

My Mum said the same about accents, so I think it's genetic to some degree. I don't think it's actually about hearing, but about how our brains interpret language. It stands to reason that some of us aren't as good at it as the norm.

I was the same at 18 as I am at 39, so it's not age related.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Anyone ever had their ears syringed?
      Yep, it's not that bad, though get your ears checked for blockage beforehand and then use some drops such as otex, which may negate the need get them syringed.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

top tip - don't have the free hearing test at spec savers.

They will say you are going progressively deaf and need their £495/ear hearing aids. If they do, just book appointment with your GP and get a referral.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          Yep, it's not that bad, though get your ears checked for blockage beforehand and then use some drops such as otex, which may negate the need get them syringed.
          I had a phase of needing it doing every year, but haven't for about 5 years now. Drops make bugger all difference.

It's quite pleasant actually. As long as they use warm water.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I had a phase of needing it doing every year, but haven't for about 5 years now. Drops make bugger all difference.

It's quite pleasant actually. As long as they use warm water.
            Can be pleasant but sometimes can make you dizzy and nauseous.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I've always found it hard to follow conversations in crowded bars, nowt wrong with my hearing either. Some brain oddity maybe as I can't multi task either, I have to fixate on one thing at a time.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I don't think it's tinnitus. I have this too but I don't have any ringing or noise issue with my hearing.

It's called "Cocktail Party deafness"

see
                Background Noise Problem, Cocktail Party Syndrome, Hearing Loss

also alcohol inhibits hearing frequencies below 1KHz
                http://www.biomedcentral.com/content...2-6815-7-4.pdf

In my case, listening to VERY loud music in my late teens probably damaged my hearing

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                  top tip - don't have the free hearing test at spec savers.

They will say you are going progressively deaf and need their £495/ear hearing aids. If they do, just book appointment with your GP and get a referral.
                  Do they tell you this in a really really quiet voice?
                  "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                    Check your blood pressure - can sometimes cause tinnitus.
                    Doctor did that, said it was OK.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                      sheesh some people the cheek
                      Sorry, I'm not one of the CUK in-crowd, so I'm not always sure.

Comment

Working...
                      X