• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Migrant Cap - Intra- Company Transfers salary set at £40,000"

Collapse

• al_cam
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    There's a breakdown here.

I think it is set to increase.
    Interesting that the general advice here is to move up the food chain to survive but project managers and business analysts are two of the few areas with decent increases in 2008.

We're all doomed.
    Now where did I put my old programming books?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

It's funny how number of accountants brought in on ICT was falling since 2000 - no foreigner could figure our Nu Liebor tax laws

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    OK I know this is yesterday's news now, but the same article said that "22,000 employees came to work in the UK via intra-company transfers in 2009", which doesn't seem too bad to me. I expected the figure to be much much higher.

So is the ICT issue really such an issue?
    Not if you like the idea of 22,000 people taking jobs away from those on the bench.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    OK I know this is yesterday's news now, but the same article said that "22,000 employees came to work in the UK via intra-company transfers in 2009", which doesn't seem too bad to me. I expected the figure to be much much higher.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Been fixed now on BBC site
    In addition to an apparent unlimited number of such transfers if the salary is above £40,000, firms are also being allowed to bring members of their staff to work in the UK for a year if the job is in ICT and the salary is over £24,000.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by markmm View Post
    Next contract I get I'll be counting the bobs and asking what they are on, make sure client is not breaking the new rule
    Let us know where your next gig is, so we can apply for the opening you leave behind.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    They probably meant anyone.
    Been fixed now on BBC site

In addition to an apparent unlimited number of such transfers if the salary is above £40,000, firms are also being allowed to bring members of their staff to work in the UK for a year if the job is in ICT and the salary is over £24,000.

Leave a comment:

• markmm
    replied
    Next contract I get I'll be counting the bobs and asking what they are on, make sure client is not breaking the new rule

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by lightfoot View Post
    Now bbc web site is saying :-

"In addition to an apparent unlimited number of such transfers if the salary is above £40,000, firms are also being allowed to bring one of their staff in to work for the UK for a year if the job is in ICT and the salary is over £24,000. "

So are they only allowed to bring in 1 that sounds ok .. or does it .. until actual see official documents hard to know what the legislation actually is ..

BBC News - UK government agrees on skilled migration cap

They probably meant anyone.

Looks like Labour are telling the truth, now that they are in opposition:
    Labour called the plans "a con".

Leave a comment:

• lightfoot
    replied
    bbc web site ..

Now bbc web site is saying :-

"In addition to an apparent unlimited number of such transfers if the salary is above £40,000, firms are also being allowed to bring one of their staff in to work for the UK for a year if the job is in ICT and the salary is over £24,000. "

So are they only allowed to bring in 1 that sounds ok .. or does it .. until actual see official documents hard to know what the legislation actually is ..

BBC News - UK government agrees on skilled migration cap

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Let me help you out here.

All the bigwigs rent a huge house and cram them full with these ICT's . It is a win - win for both the company and the Bob.
    Forget the big house, my ex boss claimed that there were "ten of 'em living in a one bedroom flat over the road"

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post

All the bigwigs rent a huge house and cram them full with these ICT's . It is a win - win for both the company and the Bob.
    Sounds like a good story for the Daily Mail.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by lightfoot View Post
    But firms will still be able to bring non-EU workers into the UK on ICTs for less than 12 months as long as they earn £24,000.
    And no limit on the number of ICTers that can come here earning £24K for 12 months presumably. Just until the UK is full, which I imagine we were close to anyway, and their salary not far off £24K either. Little wonder business was saying how happy they were with this.
    Last edited by TimberWolf; 23 November 2010, 16:31.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Don't worry the government will raise the amount at some point i.e. when Turkey or Albania join the EU.

And yes I've worked with Turks.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    £24K isn't much to live on in London these days though is it? Assuming that excludes renting costs and council tax. Still, I suppose what's left over will go 5 times as far back in India. Perhaps they get tax perks too?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X