• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hate it, hate it, hate it!!!!"

Collapse

• the_rangdo
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Did you have a BILA before you left? How about a F2F?

Annual bonus paid out not only based on what you've actually done for the past year, but also on what they think you might achieve in the coming year (i.e. does your boss like you).

Or "we totally support training and development, we want to give you the chance to expand and progress, and not necessarily in this team. We don't want to hold you back."

followed by "you want to do WHAT, how does that relate to your current day-2-day duties. You should do this nice Finance Fundamentals course instead"

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Interesting how when we talk about tax, contractors say they don't earn much more than permies once bench time is factored in, and shouldn't pay equal tax to employed people, but when not trying to defend themselves they earn far more than the same permies.
    Point 1 : Interesting how when we talk about tax, contractors say they don't earn much more than permies once bench time is factored in

The first rule of being a contractor is you don't talk about tax

Point 2 : and shouldn't pay equal tax to employed people,

The second rule of being a contractor is you pay the same tax

Point 3 : but when not trying to defend themselves they earn far more than the same permies.

The third rule of being a contractor is you have to rub permies noses in it when talking about tax.

HTH

MF

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Face it, a lifetime of contracting and you risk becoming Simon:

So many people here remind me of him...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Face it, a few years of permidoom and you are Keith.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    I can remember my fist job out of Uni where there was an annual appraisal where your manager marked you using the A to E grading system according to their gut feel on your performance. On going back there to do a contract I discovered it had been changed to take account of what you had done and your behaviours in how you got stuff done and pandered to senior management and stupid HR initiatives and via a series of complicated twists and turns it coughed up two numbers which could be plotted on a graph. There were then various lines on the graph giving you a banding that you fitted into.

How many bands were there on the graph? You guessed it - 5. Commonly known as A, B, C, D & E. The system did have the advantage that it tied up hundreds of extra man hours worth wasted time whilst people tried to manipulate the system to arrive at the banding they'd first thought of.

As a contractor my response to any request for 360 feedback is usually "you write what you want me to put and I'll send it back to you".

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    I can remember my fist job out of Uni where there was an annual appraisal where your manager marked you using the A to E grading system according to their gut feel on your performance. On going back there to do a contract I discovered it had been changed to take account of what you had done and your behaviours in how you got stuff done and pandered to senior management and stupid HR initiatives and via a series of complicated twists and turns it coughed up two numbers which could be plotted on a graph. There were then various lines on the graph giving you a banding that you fitted into.

How many bands were there on the graph? You guessed it - 5. Commonly known as A, B, C, D & E. The system did have the advantage that it tied up hundreds of extra man hours worth wasted time whilst people tried to manipulate the system to arrive at the banding they'd first thought of.

As a contractor my response to any request for 360 feedback is usually "you write what you want me to put and I'll send it back to you".

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Troll.

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied
    Interesting how when we talk about tax, contractors say they don't earn much more than permies once bench time is factored in, and shouldn't pay equal tax to employed people, but when not trying to defend themselves they earn far more than the same permies.

You're such a troll.
    Yeah im a real troll, defending contractors on a contracting forum, which website did you get your Physics degree at?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

You're such a troll.

Leave a comment:

• kandr
    replied
    Isn't it almost as bad contracting in a crappy company, since you're probably still dealing with crappy line-managers who want to micromanage and don't 'get' that you're not an employee?
    Yeah but as you are earning double the permie is you can laugh it off as you leave at 5 waving bye to the permies worried about their bonus review, 5 mins later you are in opening the door to your BMW which is parked next to a permies 5 year old Ford Focus.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Isn't it almost as bad contracting in a crappy company, since you're probably still dealing with crappy line-managers who want to micromanage and don't 'get' that you're not an employee?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Yes sometimes it is very difficult to keep your mouth shut when things which were quite obviously going to go wrong go wrong.

I just make sure it is clearly documented who took the decision/accepted the risk and let the process take its course.

But if people are that bad at their jobs they deserve everything they get.

It takes a true leader to take advice from people and act on it.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    the benefit or otherwise of apprasials purely depends on the goals behind doing them

some managers will use them as Mich says to belittle staff and make sure they know their place to ensure that managers little teeny bit of power is kept.

some managers will actually use it as d000hg says to work towards postive goals for all and to ensure that you have the support to achieve your goals and make the company a better place to work.

but at the end of the day it's up to you if you work for a tulip company with crap managers go get another job - no point in using your talents to make the cupid stunts look good.
    Or worse getting the blame when the cupid stunts make a real mess of a project. Saying I told you so never seams enough.

Now I just say 10K more

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    the benefit or otherwise of apprasials purely depends on the goals behind doing them

some managers will use them as Mich says to belittle staff and make sure they know their place to ensure that managers little teeny bit of power is kept.

some managers will actually use it as d000hg says to work towards postive goals for all and to ensure that you have the support to achieve your goals and make the company a better place to work.

but at the end of the day it's up to you if you work for a tulip company with crap managers go get another job - no point in using your talents to make the cupid stunts look good.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
    1-2-1
    PDP
    OGSP

FFS

Escaped the hell back in June.
    Did you have a BILA before you left? How about a F2F?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X