• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why there will be no real recovery from this recession"

Collapse

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    As in all things, if you reduce the price then it would boost demand. It works for labour in the same way it works for spuds and televisions.
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Ummmm, how many spuds can one person eat and how many tellies can he watch?
    There is a limit to the amount of spuds one person can eat but if they are cheaper then a person that could not previously afford them can now buy them.

Similarly with televisions. Also with consumer goods cheaper prices mean that upgrading is more affordable. How often do we buy a new television now compared with our Grandparents' generation?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Depressing but main post almost certainly right. Rising population, diminishing resources of all types especially fuel. A major problem at the moment is the growth of China and the fuel inefficiency of its industries. According to an article I can't find at the mo their fuel requirements are several times ours.
    Perhaps Europe could sell them coal?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Depressing but main post almost certainly right. Rising population, diminishing resources of all types especially fuel. A major problem at the moment is the growth of China and the fuel inefficiency of its industries. According to an article I can't find at the mo their fuel requirements are several times ours.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    The problem is just too many people. If everybody only had one child, problem solved.
    Yes, that worked great in China.

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Euthenasia.........voluntary or otherwise. Has to happen. You heard it here first.
    Thanks for the sacrifice SB, leading from the front. I can't think of a better person to exemplify the need for mass culling of society's least useful demographic.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I suppose they could be paid to polish the concrete lions on the driveway gateposts of Dimprawn´s mock tudor Barratt mansion.
    Reproduction, not mock!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I suspect a lot of problems that are building up have been cloaked by a rising population, especially recently, not least in inflating the money supply without immediate ill effect. But at some stage the population must stabilise or reduce and then all those chickens are coming home to roost.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    As in all things, if you reduce the price then it would boost demand. It works for labour in the same way it works for spuds and televisions.
    Ummmm, how many spuds can one person eat and how many tellies can he watch?

Same for labour; up to a point you're right; cheaper labour might lead to some jobs being created, but at some stage you reach saturation and there's nothing much left for all that labour to do. I suppose they could be paid to polish the concrete lions on the driveway gateposts of Dimprawn´s mock tudor Barratt mansion.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    You are roughly in the 'right' area. Prices of a wide range of items would also deflate too simply because there would not be the ability for the market to support higher prices.

I am not saying that I like the idea, but that is what I think the prospect is.
    I'm inclined to agree.

Iron Law of Wages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Euthenasia.........voluntary or otherwise. Has to happen. You heard it here first.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Just who are you going to tax to pay your pension then?
    A necessary sacrifice. A bit of hardship now or the end of civilisation later.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    The problem is just too many people. If everybody only had one child, problem solved.
    Just who are you going to tax to pay your pension then?

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    There are plenty of jobs. More than enough to absorb all those currently on welfare that want to/should be working and all those being displaced from their public sector jobs.

Unfortunately the jobs are currently being done by others from outside the UK.
    Really? Are you including bona fide immigrants, or only offshored work and offshore workers in the UK? I suppose big companies might be hiring a million or two Bobs, but the unemployed are the unemployed dregs and the work they can do (manual work or whatever) can't be offshored.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    People will buy less frequently and goods will last more - this would have knock on effect on raw materials, less will be required so prices will come down.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    You are roughly in the 'right' area. Prices of a wide range of items would also deflate too simply because there would not be the ability for the market to support higher prices.

I am not saying that I like the idea, but that is what I think the prospect is.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X