• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why there will be no real recovery from this recession

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    As in all things, if you reduce the price then it would boost demand. It works for labour in the same way it works for spuds and televisions.
    So what average annual salary in your view should be for workers in this country compared to say India/China, do you think it is possible to live in this country on £5-7k per year given that all other prices stay the same?

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
      This is a good thing (reduced costs to consumers, increased standards and quality, etc)
      It's not good in a long term - at some point (which is nearly reached) too many don't have jobs and even more have non-jobs: a lot of "cheap" things are actually expensive because they are of poor quality - they don't last long, I bought some shoes last year and they were tuliped in a few months, where as before I had good pair that lasted 10 years, so actually over long period of time those "cheap" products would cost more.

IMHO there should be a legal requirement to show TCO over X years for most products: this way those who make quality stuff will be rewarded and won't lose out due to much cheaper but poor quality (in a long term not looks at purchase time) goods.

Comment

You are roughly in the 'right' area. Prices of a wide range of items would also deflate too simply because there would not be the ability for the market to support higher prices.

I am not saying that I like the idea, but that is what I think the prospect is.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

People will buy less frequently and goods will last more - this would have knock on effect on raw materials, less will be required so prices will come down.

Comment

There are plenty of jobs. More than enough to absorb all those currently on welfare that want to/should be working and all those being displaced from their public sector jobs.

Unfortunately the jobs are currently being done by others from outside the UK.
            Really? Are you including bona fide immigrants, or only offshored work and offshore workers in the UK? I suppose big companies might be hiring a million or two Bobs, but the unemployed are the unemployed dregs and the work they can do (manual work or whatever) can't be offshored.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The problem is just too many people. If everybody only had one child, problem solved.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                The problem is just too many people. If everybody only had one child, problem solved.
                Just who are you going to tax to pay your pension then?
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Just who are you going to tax to pay your pension then?
                  A necessary sacrifice. A bit of hardship now or the end of civilisation later.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Euthenasia.........voluntary or otherwise. Has to happen. You heard it here first.
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

You are roughly in the 'right' area. Prices of a wide range of items would also deflate too simply because there would not be the ability for the market to support higher prices.

I am not saying that I like the idea, but that is what I think the prospect is.
                      I'm inclined to agree.

Iron Law of Wages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X