• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "... and you think you rate isn't enough!!"

Collapse

• Saddo
    replied
    This video is now on the Sky News web site. After having read some of the comments on this thread I figured I would take a look.

I watched a couple of minutes worth but didn't stay to the end. Holy Moses! He was clambering up that mast like his ass was on fire, and apparently not using the safety harness for much of the time. Made me feel right queasy.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Some TV chef, Keith Floyd I think, recounted how he was hitch hiking in Spain or somewhere when a student. One dark night he staggered up a steep road, pissed as a mattress after an evening on the tiles, and spotted a handy looking low wall by the roadside to have a nap.

Next morning he woke, and found he had been sleeping, drunk as a skunk, on a narrow wall over a 1000 foot sheer precipice!

The scariest cliffs I've seen are some 1000+ foot ones in Northern Norway - They're usually shrouded in fog, and are rounded at the top, so an unwary hill walker could easily walk down the slope and not realise until too late where it led.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Why be more scared about a 500m than a 20 metre height (depending on the surface). It might as well be 500m in the event of a fall, except less messy.
    Logic 0 - 1 Biology
    Or maybe t'other way round. It's in the genes anyway (for most of us).

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Perhaps our instinctive fear of great heights developed when we were reptiles and could stand a fall of 50m or so
    Let's run it past Zeity!!

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    I know the point you are making, and can only say that it seems to be a personal thing for me. There is a height, which is far more than adequate to kill me should I fall, that I feel reasonably comfortable climbing to. After that.......no way Jose!!
    I expect everyone has an individual limit if they were to test it. Just my 2p worth.
    Perhaps our instinctive fear of great heights developed when we were reptiles and could stand a fall of 50m or so

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Don't know why your bothered about the height? That doesn't kill you. It's the floor you want to be worried about!!!
    You mean deceleration trauma??

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I know the point you are making, and can only say that it seems to be a personal thing for me. There is a height, which is far more than adequate to kill me should I fall, that I feel reasonably comfortable climbing to. After that.......no way Jose!!
    I expect everyone has an individual limit if they were to test it. Just my 2p worth.
    Don't know why your bothered about the height? That doesn't kill you. It's the floor you want to be worried about!!!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Why be more scared about a 500m than a 20 metre height (depending on the surface). It might as well be 500m in the event of a fall, except less messy.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    It is a natural instinct to be scared of heights; even a baby will be scared of climbing.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I was under the impression that they used to use a certain tribe of Red Indians (native Americans ) for this type of work due to the fact they were not scared of heights.,
    linky

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    I was under the impression that they used to use a certain tribe of Red Indians (native Americans ) for this type of work due to the fact they were not scared of heights.,
    Certifiable loonies

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Scary scary stuff - I just couldn't do that - one thing I noticed was there were a couple of times when climbing he appeared to have let go with both hands and pushed up with just legs....fook that

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    I remember a trip to Dubai in 1994 when they were still constructing one of the Etisalat Buildings (Not sure which one!).
    The construction workers would have a siesta in the afternoon and would happily snooze only a few feet away from the unfinished building edges. Nutters!!
    We were there this year and saw the Burj Khalifa, now that is tall.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X