• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What's the fastest you've driven on a UK motorway?"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    You really should put your hatred of successful people behind you and start using that destructive energy for a more beneficial purpose, like getting a job!
    Says the itinerant IT "engineer" (like my boiler man calls himself one too ) currently working in Swindon.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Not to mention all the fresh kidneys, livers and corneas they provide.
    Not sure all the livers and kidneys are that "fresh" judging by most of the bikers I know.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    I must disagree, those sorts of shenanigans are both big AND clever and the chicks dig it.
    Not to mention all the fresh kidneys, livers and corneas they provide.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    I must disagree, those sorts of shenanigans are both big AND clever and the chicks dig it.
    WDS

Bikes rule.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Yes, you are number one twat surpassing AtW

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    You really should put your hatred of successful people behind you and start using that destructive energy for a more beneficial purpose, like getting a job!
    He really has allowed that Honorary Doctorate he received from the Institute of Advanced Muppetry to go straight to his empty little head!

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Max i've had my GSX-R up to is 160 on an A road (never taken it on a motorway and wouldnt risk that sort of speed there anyway as too visible). Was rock solid stable but still scary as hell.
    There is no rock steady motor bike, hence the numerous deaths from riders who think they are invincible. Nobody is expecting anything going that speed off a motorway least of all Tom the tractor driver or Fred in his Micra pulling out from a side road.

Yes, you are number one twat surpassing AtW

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Max i've had my GSX-R up to is 160 on an A road (never taken it on a motorway and wouldnt risk that sort of speed there anyway as too visible). Was rock solid stable but still scary as hell.
    bikes probably don't have the same problem as the airflow under the vehicle has little or no effect.
    Most modern high performance cars have various bits of ducting under the car to help it stick to the road at speed instead of developing a nice little cushion of air.

Leave a comment:

• Durbs
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    When you get above 120mph every little bump makes the steering feel a bit lighter than it should do.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Oh also, I live in a county which has no fixed speed-cameras. No way I'd go burning about on a road I wasn't very familiar with, not knowing which junctions people jump out from like loons.
    I work in a county with no fixed speed cameras...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Oh also, I live in a county which has no fixed speed-cameras. No way I'd go burning about on a road I wasn't very familiar with, not knowing which junctions people jump out from like loons.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Tosh. The M1 is pretty straight as is the M5 (I think, the pretty bit), even assuming you are right about the bends... which I think is not the case. 140+ in a Focus, etc, maybe... they are not built for it... but any fast car considers 140 pretty average.
    The problem with a "normal" car is the lack of extra down force at speed.
    When you get above 120mph every little bump makes the steering feel a bit lighter than it should do.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I had 'W' (168mph) rated tyres on my Type-R, it failed its last MoT due to a lobing effect caused by delamination.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Aren't tyres the limiting factor? I thought the tyres on most cars, apart from sports cars obviously, are rated only up to about 130 MPH.

Frankly, the last thing you need (and probably the last thing you'd hear) is an offside blow out doing 150 on the outside lane on a left bend.
    My winter tyres are rated only up to 100mph (not surprisingly being constructed for cold). However, the speed rating means sustained speed. It doesn't matter if you ocassionally exceed that.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Tosh. The M1 is pretty straight as is the M5 (I think, the pretty bit), even assuming you are right about the bends... which I think is not the case. 140+ in a Focus, etc, maybe... they are not built for it... but any fast car considers 140 pretty average.

Anyway... on a motorway barely over 100. But 130 on an A road, when we test-drove an RX8. Then it started to smell a bit hot so we slowed down since we didn't want to have to buy it.

Google Maps

Parts of the M1 are straight, just look at the London end. Some motorway bends won’t even support 30mph!

Pathetic Motorways

Leave a comment:

Working...
X