• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is the Church of Scientology 'stupid'?"

Collapse

• DaveB
    replied
    For a whole load of detailed info on the extent of the paranoia and straight up battulip weirdness (in my opinion ) involved check out the Scientology section on Wikileaks.
    Last edited by DaveB; 21 July 2010, 11:18.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Just been reading Barefaced Messiah, The true Story of L Ron Hubbard by Russel Miller as it happens. Stupid certainly seems an apt description although is it really any stupider than some other religions?

PS Better not say any more as I live very close to Saint Hill Manor. Might get a goldfish bowl put on my head and be left out for the Thetans to eat.
    PPS Maybe Zeitghost is a Thetan.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 21 July 2010, 11:00.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Religion is the opium of the people.

I'm sure someone said that once
    I thought that was football, innit?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Which is?
    Religion is the opium of the people.

I'm sure someone said that once

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    You are "Menelaus in drag" and I claim my £5.
    If you carry on in that vein then I'm going to turn up at one of your northern do's and bore you all to death. Believe me I'm a lot worse in real life!

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Not quite true the Greek and Roman Gods didn't provide structure in teh sense that teh Judaic relegions do and those cultures did quite well as I seem to recall. Also the greeks and some romans also work on matters of how to live without using gods to enforce it.

Plato's Republic and Cicero's Good Life spring to mind.
    You are "Menelaus in drag" and I claim my £5.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    Providing a structure that prevents human beings from acting like complete ***** towards each other and themselves, which they would do if they were left to their own devices.

All religions fulfil that role which is one of the reasons I won't believe any of them.
    Not quite true the Greek and Roman Gods didn't provide structure in teh sense that teh Judaic relegions do and those cultures did quite well as I seem to recall. Also the greeks and some romans also work on matters of how to live without using gods to enforce it.

Plato's Republic and Cicero's Good Life spring to mind.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    The organisation isn't stupid. But the followers may well be. It's rather an odd set of beliefs, obviously manufactured by one man.

Of course, just because you've got stupid people following some philosophy/world view/religion, doesn't mean that the view itself is stupid. There are some quite staggeringly stupid followers of Dawkins.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Is the Church of Scientology 'stupid'?

I don't know the answer but I will only observe that during my student days I always used to hurry past their place in Tottenham Court Road just to be on the safe side and come to think of it, even recently I still used to hurry past their place in Queen Victoria Street.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    It serves a purpose.
    Which is?
    Providing a structure that prevents human beings from acting like complete ***** towards each other and themselves, which they would do if they were left to their own devices.

All religions fulfil that role which is one of the reasons I won't believe any of them.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    OOooo an unbeliever!! You're only making it worse for yourself!
    Cardinal Fang!!!! Fetch the "comfy chair"!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Indeed. They don't appear to be a particularly friendly bunch if you decide you've had enough...

I think the Christian church stopped burning heretics around the late 1700s so we've only got another 1650 years before the Scientologists cotton on...
    OOooo an unbeliever!! You're only making it worse for yourself!

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    The problem starts when "The musings of a man" become a method of control and oppression by those with a vested interest.
    Indeed. They don't appear to be a particularly friendly bunch if you decide you've had enough...

I think the Christian church stopped burning heretics around the late 1700s so we've only got another 1650 years before the Scientologists cotton on...

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    A sense of belonging to a community?

To be honest, I don't go to church and am pretty agnostic about the whole afterlife thing. However, if people want to go to church and be with like minded people, perform charitable works and all of the other stuff that goes along with it then more power to them.

I've read some of the Scientology stuff, it's based on the musings of a man. In that respect it could be said to mirror Christianity quite closely.

The problem starts when "The musings of a man" become a method of control and oppression by those with a vested interest.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Which is?
    A sense of belonging to a community?

To be honest, I don't go to church and am pretty agnostic about the whole afterlife thing. However, if people want to go to church and be with like minded people, perform charitable works and all of the other stuff that goes along with it then more power to them.

I've read some of the Scientology stuff, it's based on the musings of a man. In that respect it could be said to mirror Christianity quite closely.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X