• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Clientco Perks?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Clientco Perks?"

Collapse

• Pondlife
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Current department head has a wife who works in the chocolate industry, so there are always free samples of past its sell by date or quality rejected product available.
    FTFY.

My fav was a certain producer of those little Easter eggs with a chicken on the label. The chicken had to be the correct way up or it failed inspection and the whole run went to the staff shop. :weightgainsmilie

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Crappily made crap starbucks (not that they are any good anyway) and a canteen that serves dull food bar the breakfast (bacon, egg and sausage sarnie for less than a quid).
    One place I worked used to do a full breakfast in the canteen of a morning, the leftovers would turn up as "german salad" (i.e. the sausages chopped up and mixed with some potatoes" ) or "breakfast salad" at lunchtime.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Crappily made crap starbucks (not that they are any good anyway) and a canteen that serves dull food bar the breakfast (bacon, egg and sausage sarnie for less than a quid).

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    One place I worked at had things like a dentist, a hairdressers, a cash point, a general newsagent/grocer shop, physiotherapy and nurse... I'm sure there was plenty more, but that lot was just on one corridor which I used to walk along.

Not sure I'd really want to work at a place which basically left you with no options for sneaking a couple of hours off "to go to the bank" or whatever. From a permie point of view, I mean. You need all the perks you can get when you're a permie.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    Current client has a very enthusiastic chocoholic as one of the managers, and they keep a big cupboard and fridge stocked up with fizzy drinks and cakes and sweeties for general free use. Takes a lot of self-discipline to keep away from that lot, and I'm not doing too well so far.
    Current department head has a wife who works in the chocolate industry, so there are always free samples available.

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    On site canteens vary. Some are better than most restaurants I've been to, and very reasonably priced. Others are little better than fast-food outlets. And then there's the places where permies get a special discount card and everyone else has to pay full price. Always go off-site to eat at places like that, of course.
    Of the canteens I've used that charged external staff extra, it was usually too much hassle or too time consuming to go off site.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Ooh, I forgot to mention our fridge full of beer.

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Most places have some kind of unique facility available to "people working on site" ()

Got free newspapers at last client. You end up kind of forcing yourself to read them every day so you don't miss out on the freebie.

Current client has a very enthusiastic chocoholic as one of the managers, and they keep a big cupboard and fridge stocked up with fizzy drinks and cakes and sweeties for general free use. Takes a lot of self-discipline to keep away from that lot, and I'm not doing too well so far.

On site canteens vary. Some are better than most restaurants I've been to, and very reasonably priced. Others are little better than fast-food outlets. And then there's the places where permies get a special discount card and everyone else has to pay full price. Always go off-site to eat at places like that, of course.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Current clientco canteen is staffed mostly by attractive east european girls who are quite chatty and friendly.
    Perk enough for me
    Same here. And at the last place I worked.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Croissants on Friday. Coffee, tea and bottled water the rest of the time. The occasional champagne apéro in the afternoon, and sometimes project dinners.

And there's an external bigco consultant wandering around with a packet of Amaretti at the moment.

When it gets very warm, I stock up the departmental freezer with Magnums for the permies.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Do they offer all their suppliers the same perks, or just their employees?

If they don't offer the same deal to Joe the Plumber, then you are looking more like an employee than a supplier.
    Free food/drinks often could be offered to tradesmen as well as to consultants, not just contractors. If a company has a policy of being generous it doesn't make you an employee for accepting their generosity.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Current clientco canteen is staffed mostly by attractive east european girls who are quite chatty and friendly.
    Perk enough for me

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Sounds like you've had a few good freebies. We had a Starbucks at Barclays in Knutsford but it wasn't free!

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I've often had subsidised canteens and suchlike. These are often "what flavour of chicken tonight are we having today" but the current one isn't too bad. One place had it's own starbucks, which was nice, and another had free ice creams.

The best things I've had as freebies are a sailing weekend on a proper ocean racing yacht (it once held the record for a monohull for distance covered in 24 hours), internet access (as in my personal box sat in a rack and plugged into a switch connected to a router two hops from the LINX), a few go karting jollies, and skiing weekends.

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Ha ha, no such concerns down here

Originally posted by centurian View Post
    As he is down under, that may, or may not be a factor in whatever is the IR35 equivalent.

But yes, over here, I would be horrified if I was offered "employee" benefits.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    I hate it when they say that. It's like "all dogs (including butterflies)"
    Ah, but butterflies can't "go over to the dark side" and become dogs.

Perhaps you could have said "all dogs, including women" ?

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
    all staff here (including contractors)
    I hate it when they say that. It's like "all dogs (including butterflies)"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X