• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Which Laws Do You Want Repealed?"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Repeal the "law" that allows people to be locked up for 28 days without charge on the grounds that your name is Ali, you have a beard and therefore you might be a threat to national security. It's like a Not The Nine o'Clock News sketch.

Not going to happen is it? 'Cos I/we don't understand the 'threat' apparently. If I don't see y'all tomorrow I'll be in Belmarsh for (thought) crimes against the state.
    Anyone seen the Zipster today............or 662079 as they are calling her at Paddington Green??

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    'Cos I/we don't understand the 'threat' apparently. If I don't see y'all tomorrow I'll be in Belmarsh for (thought) crimes against the state.
    The "threat" is that the "Security Agencies" will be downsized.
    When the Soviet Union vanished, I did not speak out, because I was working in the bit of MI5 that dealt with the Soviet Union.

When the IRA vanished, I did not speak out, because I'd managed to wangle a transfer to the bit of MI5 that dealt with the IRA.

When 9/11 happened, I said "Jesus Mary and Joseph, we're all saved as long as we keep on telling the politicians that there is a continuing threat from non-representative Islamic extremists."

When 7/7 happened, I said "Jesus Mary and Joseph, this is even better, because although we clearly failed to prevent this happening and are therefore obviously NBG, the politicians can't afford to get rid of us for fear of public perception."

And so on

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Repeal the "law" that allows people to be locked up for 28 days without charge on the grounds that your name is Ali, you have a beard and therefore you might be a threat to national security. It's like a Not The Nine o'Clock News sketch.

Not going to happen is it? 'Cos I/we don't understand the 'threat' apparently. If I don't see y'all tomorrow I'll be in Belmarsh for (thought) crimes against the state.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Red tape

I feel a bit guilty for thinking this but...when I was out running round the park yesterday afternoon, 3 teachers each led a crocodile of children right into my path so I had to swerve round them, and it is some consolation knowing that they will all have to write near-miss incident reports about it.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I'd love to, but I am afraid I put it down the pants of a stripper in Luton!
    That'd be BigDickDave would it?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    You ARE Mrs SY and I demand my crisp £5 note!!
    I'd love to, but I am afraid I put it down the pants of a stripper in Luton!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    The only thing that would give me the willies is someone like suityou trying to give me the willies!
    You ARE Mrs SY and I demand my crisp £5 note!!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    True, but if we are being absolutely honest MF, all manner of things give you the willies.
    Balloons............dwarves............open spaces...............enclosed spaces.............lightbulbs............carrots.. ..........ties.........hedgehogs................ga rden gnomes..........clouds....

Difficult to take you seriously on this really.

The only thing that would give me the willies is someone like suityou trying to give me the willies!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    It does and always will scare me the thought of a National DNA Database in the hands of a mad, corrupt Government like the Nazis!
    True, but if we are being absolutely honest MF, all manner of things give you the willies.
    Balloons............dwarves............open spaces...............enclosed spaces.............lightbulbs............carrots.. ..........ties.........hedgehogs................ga rden gnomes..........clouds....

Difficult to take you seriously on this really.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    It does and always will scare me the thought of a National DNA Database in the hands of a mad, corrupt Government like the Nazis! The thought of what will happen in the future chills me to the bone.

Regardless, I'm bound to be on the Project Team for it. So something positive will come out of the final solution as I type = "Delete * From Population where GeneX = 'Bedwetter' and SocialMeeting = 'Everyone who crossed me'
    And so! It begins......

BBC News - Genes predict living beyond 100

Leave a comment:

• stillooking
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Phase 1: I nominate the law that ended the execution of traitors.

Phase 2: Select * from Laws where enacteddate >= "1-may-1997"

why??

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Do you mean create or commit?

Even if they give you a slice of the £££?

Not when you're sitting behind someone else. Not if you smashing into the windscreen distracts the driver so they crash. Not unless you're going to pay for the bills incurred of being thrown through the windscreen - police, ambulance, etc.
    A minor point, but if he's flying through the windscreen, might it not be too late to worry about distracting the driver?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Didn't the New Lie create something approaching 3000 new offenses?
    Do you mean create or commit?

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Can I have a new law please to stop the government spending millions of our pounds developing stupid websites ?
    Even if they give you a slice of the £££?

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    All the 'nanny state' laws.

Thou shalt wear a seatbelt
    Thou shalt wear a motorcycle helmet (unless thou happens to wear a turban)

etc.

Cycle helmets will no doubt be next.

I do, and always will wear a seatbelt. But if I choose not to, that's my prerogative shirley?
    Not when you're sitting behind someone else. Not if you smashing into the windscreen distracts the driver so they crash. Not unless you're going to pay for the bills incurred of being thrown through the windscreen - police, ambulance, etc.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    It does and always will scare me the thought of a National DNA Database in the hands of a mad, corrupt Government like the Nazis! The thought of what will happen in the future chills me to the bone.

Regardless, I'm bound to be on the Project Team for it. So something positive will come out of the final solution as I type = "Delete * From Population where GeneX = 'Bedwetter' and SocialMeeting = 'Everyone who crossed me'

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Another childish effort, at least MF tried.
    Here's a quote for you:

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.
    Hint, it's not one of Kipling's

Leave a comment:

Working...
X