• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Currently reading ...."

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Snow Crash- Neal Stephenson. I can't believe I missed it! Next up are Geometry for Ocelots- Exurb1a, and Walkaway- Cory Doctorow.

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/sh...n-dollar-loser

Billion dollar loser - interesting story of the founder of WeWork and how the IPO crashed - (we work seem to be everywhere in London - who has not had a meeting in there?)

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    The Meditations of the Emperor Marcus Aurelius Antoninus. - Thanks Gibbon!

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Thanks

Amazon.co.uk : roberto calasso

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Bump

Currently about to start The Anarchy: The Relentless Rise of the East India Company.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    The Things by Peter Watts

Free bit of SF. Essentially "The Thing" from The Thing's point of view.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Economix; M Goodwin; Abrams ComicArts (2012)
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 25 March 2021, 10:00.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Shantaram. Based on a true story which always enhances matters. Unputdownable................almost.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Are there two 'currently reading' threads or have we lost a load of posts?

I think there might be a CUK Book Club thread, perhaps? Maybe a merge of the two would be a good idea?
    You are right. But I daren't do it until Nick confirms its working.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Currently reading Elements of programming interviews in python - The insiders' guide; A Aziz et al; CreateSpace (2016)

Packed full of coding hints, tips, and examples, and geared for preparing for sadistic programming problems set at interviews!

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Are there two 'currently reading' threads or have we lost a load of posts?

I think there might be a CUK Book Club thread, perhaps? Maybe a merge of the two would be a good idea?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Bindi by Nnedi Okorafor. It's a triology of Sci-fi/horror novellas. The first one won Hugo and Nebula awards. It's very different and quite mind expanding, as proper sci-fi should be.

Just finished The Quantum Magician by Derek Künsken. A nice bit of hard sci-fi/space opera/heist. Fun to read.

Before then, Obama's autobiography. Surprisingly well written (I usually find politician memoires to be a bit dull). While I don't agree with all is politics, and of course understanding he's going to make himself look good, it's a fascinating insight into US politics. If John "Oven Chips" McCain has memoirs out covering the period when he stood against Obama, I'd like to read them.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I thought the other stuff was hard science fiction. Now I'm reading Greg Egan - Diaspora. Intelligent life forms living in fourier analysis. 12 dimensional space. And virtualisation of reality.

At least on his website he has diagrams explaining some of the concepts.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Lord Hornblower

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Bought both of them - thanks guys.
    New one. There Is No Antimemetic Division. What's weird is, I'm sure I've already bought it and read it, but it isn't on my kindle. You'll have to read it to understand why that's weird.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X