• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Price of alcohol to rise."

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Lidl £1 for Sheperd Neame's finest footy beer and Spitfire. I'll miss that.

Off to the park to drink my real ale and shout innit a lot.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I pay €0.85 per 1/2 litre of Bavaria's finest. Thankfully the Germans don't see alcoholism as part of their national identity so my happiness is set to continue.
    + it tastes far better than the dishwater the uk serves AND it's a decent strength too but with far less chemicals in it so less of a hangover..

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    They are expecting more impact due to the multiplier i.e. if you are sticking down a substantial intake each week it is going to cost you hundreds extra but for more modest consumption an extra 50 notes a year is an hours work for some....
    Or it could backfire, the booze cruise could be a viable proposition again.

25-30% of smokers use smuggled cigarettes which costs the revenue an estimated £3 billion a year, if they push too hard the market will find a way.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    They are expecting more impact due to the multiplier i.e. if you are sticking down a substantial intake each week it is going to cost you hundreds extra but for more modest consumption an extra 50 notes a year is an hours work for some....

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    As long as they do the minimum price per unit system I couldn't care less, I buy premium ale and wine which is already way more expensive per unit than cheap lager.
    Yes, but if you push up the price of the cheap stuff then obviously the premium stuff will also become more expensive too. They need to keep a reasonable difference in price otherwise nobody would drink the cheapo crap.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Pish. Beer festivals do not sell beer at £1 a pint.
    WPS

The last couple I have been to, it works out at around £2-3 per pint. Hardly cheap drinking, but at least you can get a decent selection. Better than all that chemical lager and frothy pseudo bitter that most town centre pubs have.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Nope but I'm sure beer festivals do and they aren't aimed at your 2 litres of cheap cider drinkers.
    Pish. Beer festivals do not sell beer at £1 a pint.

So where does your certainty on this subject come from?

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Nope but I'm sure beer festivals do and they aren't aimed at your 2 litres of cheap cider drinkers.
    Wow, I forgot about GBBF !!!!

I've not been able to go the last couple of years because of my ..... problem.

But I'm a lot better now, so I might risk a session this year.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Drewster View Post
    Do pubs sell at less than 50p per unit.............

Leave a comment:

• Drewster
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    The price hike isn't going to include pubs, just supermarkets and offies apparently
    Do pubs sell at less than 50p per unit.............
    I thought this was aimed at the WhiteLightening and other pish that wasters like <insert User of choice> guzzled

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I pay €0.85 per 1/2 litre of Bavaria's finest. Thankfully the Germans don't see alcoholism as part of their national identity so my happiness is set to continue.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    As long as they do the minimum price per unit system I couldn't care less, I buy premium ale and wine which is already way more expensive per unit than cheap lager.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    The price hike isn't going to include pubs, just supermarkets and offies apparently
    Isn't it going to be a nice little earner for the supermarkets then? No more loss leaders to get people in the door to buy booze?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Having lived in a Nordic country with high alcohol pricing it's just going to be a nice little earner for the Chancellor.

Until this country's (as a whole) drinking culture changes then regardless of the price of alcohol people will drink a lot.

I use to drink at 16 in pubs and I didn't get drunk because I didn't want my age discovered. Funny thing is that I looked young for my age as I would be paying child fare on the tube and train and the ticket inspectors never questioned me.

However with the increase in fining pubs where under age-drinkers are found this isn't an option any more. So it's been common for a good few years to have teenagers terrorising local off-licenses and cornershops to get alcohol and drink on street corners. And the teenagers who do this aren't just the poorer ones.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X