• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Price of alcohol to rise.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Nope but I'm sure beer festivals do and they aren't aimed at your 2 litres of cheap cider drinkers.
    Wow, I forgot about GBBF !!!!

I've not been able to go the last couple of years because of my ..... problem.

But I'm a lot better now, so I might risk a session this year.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Nope but I'm sure beer festivals do and they aren't aimed at your 2 litres of cheap cider drinkers.
      Pish. Beer festivals do not sell beer at £1 a pint.

So where does your certainty on this subject come from?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Pish. Beer festivals do not sell beer at £1 a pint.
        WPS

The last couple I have been to, it works out at around £2-3 per pint. Hardly cheap drinking, but at least you can get a decent selection. Better than all that chemical lager and frothy pseudo bitter that most town centre pubs have.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          As long as they do the minimum price per unit system I couldn't care less, I buy premium ale and wine which is already way more expensive per unit than cheap lager.
          Yes, but if you push up the price of the cheap stuff then obviously the premium stuff will also become more expensive too. They need to keep a reasonable difference in price otherwise nobody would drink the cheapo crap.

Comment

They are expecting more impact due to the multiplier i.e. if you are sticking down a substantial intake each week it is going to cost you hundreds extra but for more modest consumption an extra 50 notes a year is an hours work for some....

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
              They are expecting more impact due to the multiplier i.e. if you are sticking down a substantial intake each week it is going to cost you hundreds extra but for more modest consumption an extra 50 notes a year is an hours work for some....
              Or it could backfire, the booze cruise could be a viable proposition again.

25-30% of smokers use smuggled cigarettes which costs the revenue an estimated £3 billion a year, if they push too hard the market will find a way.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                I pay €0.85 per 1/2 litre of Bavaria's finest. Thankfully the Germans don't see alcoholism as part of their national identity so my happiness is set to continue.
                + it tastes far better than the dishwater the uk serves AND it's a decent strength too but with far less chemicals in it so less of a hangover..
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Lidl £1 for Sheperd Neame's finest footy beer and Spitfire. I'll miss that.

Off to the park to drink my real ale and shout innit a lot.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                  X